American Association Game Recaps
August 9, 2015 - American Association (AA) News Release
Joplin 12, Wichita 8
The Joplin Blasters rallied from an early 5-1 deficit to defeat the Wichita Wingnuts, 12-8 in a pivotal two-game series. With the victory, Joplin now trails Wichita by two games in the South Division. The Blasters were led offensively by RF Jesus Solorzano going a perfect 4-for-4 at the plate with a home run, two runs scored and two RBI. Joplin INF Steven Tinoco added three hits, including two doubles, along with a run scored and two runs driven in. Blasters reliever Jeff Lyons tossed 1 1/3 innings and received his first win of the year. For Wichita in defeat, 3B TJ Mittelstaedt went 2-for-4 with a pair of runs scored and two RBI.
Sioux City 9, Sioux Falls 4
Sioux City scored six runs in the fifth inning to blow open the game and lift themselves to a 9-4 victory over the Sioux Falls Canaries. Sioux City has now won 12 straight and have an overall record of 54-18. The Explorers banged out 16 hits in the contest with eight of the nine hitters in the lineup recording at least one. Sioux City 2B Ryan Court went 3-for-5 with a home run, three runs scored and three RBI while 3B Tommy Mendonca collected a pair of hits and two RBI. Explorers LF Tim Colwell also added a home run in a 2-for-4 day along with three RBI. Sioux City starting pitcher John Straka tossed seven innings and picked up his ninth win of the year. Straka allowed three earned runs on nine hits and fanned five batters.
Fargo-Moorhead 16, Kansas City 4
Fargo-Moorhead rolled out to a 4-0 lead after just a half inning and would go on to a 16-4 win over the Kansas City T-Bones. What a game for RedHawks C Luke Bailey. Bailey went 2-for-4 on the night with two home runs, four runs scored and four RBI. Fargo-Moorhead DH Charlie Valerio also was solid offensively as he 3-for-5 with a home run, two runs scored and four runs driven in. RedHawks starting pitcher Ty Kelley picked up more than enough run support to collect his fourth win of the season. Kelley went 5 2/3 innings allowing four earned runs on eight hits and fanned three Kansas City batters.
St. Paul 8, Winnipeg 5
The St. Paul Saints notched their ninth straight victory with an 8-5 decision over the Winnipeg Goldeyes. St. Paul SS Anthony Phillips led the offensive charge going 3-for-4 in the game with a pair of runs scored and a RBI. Saints CF Alonzo Harris and 3B Ryan Lashley each had two hits and combined to plate five runs. Harris also chipped in with his 29th stolen base of the season. St. Paul starter Pedro Hernandez improved his mark to 8-2 on the year with the win. Hernandez gave up three runs, two earned, on seven hits in six innings of work. Winnipeg LF Adam Heisler hit his fourth home run in the loss.
Fans can watch select American Association games live and for free at www.americanassociationbaseball.tv.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 9, 2015
- Blasters Bolt Past Wingnuts in Series Opener - Joplin Blasters
- Nuts Can't Hold Early Lead, Drop 12-8 Decision to Joplin - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Goldeyes Lose Game, Series in St. Paul - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Magic Number Shrinks to Four as Saints Win Ninth Straight 8-5 over Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- RedHawks Pile Runs on T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Make It Twelve Wins In A Row With 9-4 Victory At The Birdcage - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Dogs Come Back to Win in 11, Clinch Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 'Cats Blow Another Lead, Drop Series to Last-Place Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Young Infielder Smart Picked up by Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.