Akin Goes Eight Strong as Falcons Earn 7-1 Victory over HarbourCats
KELOWNA, B.C. - The Kelowna Falcons got eight strong innings of work from Jared Akin plus big nights from Cody Crowder and Austin Butler to help them to a 7-1 victory over the Victoria HarbourCats on Wednesday night at Elks Stadium.
Akin and Clark Streby were locked in a pitching duel through the first five innings of the game with the Falcons leading by a 1-0 score on a Cody Crowder RBI single, getting on base for the first of five times in the game. That 1-0 score held on into the 6th inning before the Falcons began to blow the game open.
Thomas Rudinsky opened the inning with a double before Austin Butler brought him in with an RBI groundout to put the Falcons ahead 2-0 and led to a two-out two-run RBI single off the bat of Steffen Torgersen that put Kelowna ahead by a 4-0 score. The Falcons cashed three more runs in in the 7th inning with Crowder scoring after stealing 2nd base and scoring on a pair of errors before Ryan Fish delivered a sacrifice fly and Butler brought home his second run of the game on an RBI double to put Kelowna ahead 7-1.
The lone blemish on Akin's night was a solo home run from Trey Bigford but that would be it as the right hander threw eight strong innings, allowing just one run on seven hits and 5 strikeouts for the victory. Travis Martizia came on in the 9th and shut the door on the Falcons third victory of the season. Justin Solt was saddled with the loss for Victoria, allowing three runs in his lone inning of work in the game.
The Falcons will look for their first series win of the season as they conclude their three-game series against the HarbourCats on Thursday night at Elks Stadium. It's Canadian Night at the ballpark as fans are encouraged to wear right and white with first pitch is scheduled for 6:35 PM with tickets available for purchase.
• Discuss this story on the West Coast League message board...
West Coast League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Pickles Offense Stays Hot as Pippins Lose Second Straight Game - Yakima Valley Pippins
- Sweets Complete Two-Game Sweep of the Highline Bears - Walla Walla Sweets
- AppleSox Drop Second of Three to Knights - Wenatchee AppleSox
- Akin Goes Eight Strong as Falcons Earn 7-1 Victory over HarbourCats - Kelowna Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kelowna Falcons Stories
- Falcons Season Ends with 5-1 Loss to Knights
- Falcons Fall in Opener of West Coast League Championship
- Big Early Innings Power Falcons to North Division Championship
- Falcons Fall in Game #2 Heartbreaker to Bells
- Akin, Bullpen Help Falcons to Game #1 Victory over Bells