AHL Board of Governors Approves Relocation of Calgary Flames' Franchise to Glens Falls
May 5, 2014 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... Convening today in Chicago for its Spring Meeting, the American Hockey League's Board of Governors approved the relocation of the franchise owned by the National Hockey League's Calgary Flames from Abbotsford, B.C., to Glens Falls, N.Y., beginning with the 2014-15 season.
The Flames' AHL franchise will begin play this fall at the Glens Falls Civic Center, which had been home to the Adirondack Phantoms since 2009. The Phantoms had been previously granted approval to relocate to Allentown, Pa., where they will begin play as the Lehigh Valley Phantoms beginning in 2014-15.
In operation since 1936, the American Hockey League continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. More than 88 percent of all players competing in the NHL are AHL graduates, and through the years the American Hockey League has been home to more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame. This season marks the 13th consecutive year in which more than 6 million fans have attended AHL games across North America.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 5, 2014
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- AHL Board of Governors Approves Relocation of Calgary Flames' Franchise to Glens Falls - AHL
- Lafranchise Assigned to Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Kids Get in Free for Penguins Second-Round Playoff Action - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- IceCaps-Admirals Second Round Schedule Released - St. John's IceCaps
- Comet Tales with Travis Green - Utica Comets
- 30 Bulldogs Alumni Remain in Stanley Cup Playoffs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceCaps Airing Second-Round Playoff Preview Show - St. John's IceCaps
- Eastern Conference Semifinal: Admirals vs. St. John's IceCaps - Norfolk Admirals
- AHL Eastern Conference Semifinal Series Schedule Finalized - AHL
- Tickets Still Available for Tuesday and Wednesday - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.