Aces clinch playoff berth
Amarillo, Texas - July 2, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces clinched a playoff spot Tuesday as they beat the Amarillo Dillas 6-3 at the Dilla Villa. The Aces needed a win Tuesday night to put the Aces in a tie with the San Angelo Colts for second place for the first half. Tuesday's game was part of a makeup game that was originally scheduled for June 4, but was rescheduled after a power outage knocked out the game. The Aces used a big second inning to get the clinching win. Trailing 2-0 entering the second, Rafael Ozuna led off the inning with a solo homer to right, his fourth of the year. After a groundout by Madison Edwards, Dillas starter Taylor Allen issued back-to-back walks to Andre Marshall and Eddie Fitzpatrick. Albert Gonzalez then singled home Marshall to cut the Dillas' lead to one. Bryan Sabatella came up with the big hit of the game with a three-run homer to right to give the Aces a 5-2 lead. The Aces added another run in the fifth with an RBI single by Luis Guance, scoring Sabatella. Aces starter Alexis Sosa came into Tuesday's game with a 21.32 ERA against the Dillas. Manager Ricky VanAsselberg had faith in the lefty by giving him an extra day's rest to pitch in this all-important game. Sosa did not disappoint. Sosa went seven innings and gave up just three runs and struck out six in the win. Juan Carlos Ovalles closed things out throwing two innings of shutout ball for his league-leading ninth save. The Aces will continue their four-game series with the Dillas Thursday as the Aces' Alejandro Martinez will face Micah Posey of the Dillas. Game time is 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 2, 2008
- Aces clinch playoff berth - Alexandria Aces
- Ricky VanAsselberg Named 2008 ULB All-Star Manager - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th