a Matchup of Epic Portions: Plates V. Potatoes
Sports are defined by the rivalries they create. You know the great ones, Yankees-Red Sox, Lakers-Celtics, Duke-North Carolina, Ali-Frazier, but none have carried the hype and appetite that this rivalry has stirred up in just ONE year and without ever playing on the same field.
But that changes in 2018 when the Rochester Plates and Syracuse Salt Potatoes square off in the Duel of the Dishes on Thursday, June 21 at Frontier Field presented by Express Mart. The two teams will also play Saturday, August 25 at NBT Bank Stadium in Syracuse.
A (one-sided) rivalry which began on the interwebs will finally be settled at the dish!
Upstate dilemma -- @SyracuseChiefs or @RocRedWings
Salt potatoes or Garbage plate? pic.twitter.com/wX4raTBTjR
- CzarBal (@CzarBal) September 6, 2017
Help settle the dispute. Which is better?
- Coach Lips (@mlipani35) August 3, 2017
The people have spoken: Plates over Potatoes #ROCPlates pic.twitter.com/yoZ8l6xZy8
- Rochester Red Wings (@RocRedWings) August 13, 2017
At stake is the coveted 6-foot Golden Fork (photos coming) and some good-natured fun between the two teams' top chefs - Dan Mason and Jason Smorol.
The Plates will be giving away a one-of-a-kind, Duel of the Dishes 'Fight Night' style poster to the first 2,000 fans courtesy of Express Mart Convenience Stores on June 21.
Thanks to this salty tweet from Syracuse, we'll be sure to have several variations of a Plate that DO NOT include their precious potatoes available on this night as well.
#SackUp @ESPNRochester because w/o potatoes there is no garbage plate. We are the foundation. You're welcome Rochester. #GetSalty
- Syracuse Chiefs (@SyracuseChiefs) August 4, 2017
A commemorative 'Duel of the Dishes' t-shirt with a 'Top 10 Reasons Why Rochester is Better Than Syracuse' list on the back will be available in the weeks leading up to the game.
June 21 is also our first Thirsty Thursday Pre-Game Happy Hour of the season presented by Bud and Bud Light with $2 beers and live music from Rob Gioia out at the 10th Inning Bar.
Every Thursday, students with a valid college ID can purchase reserved level tickets for just $10 which includes 5 Diamond Dollars that can be used at the Team Store or Frontier Field concession stands.
The Plates will put together a fan bus trip to Syracuse for the August 25 Plates-Potatoes game. More details to follow.
The Red Wings 2018 season begins at Frontier Field on Friday, April 6 at 6:05 pm against the Buffalo Bisons! Single-game tickets for all 70 home games are on sale now at RedWingsBaseball.com. The Red Wings Ticket Office will open for the first time on Friday, March 23 for the 2nd Annual Baseball's Back Bash.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from March 3, 2018
- Chiefs Hire Michael Tricarico as New Broadcast Assistant - Syracuse Chiefs
- New Safety Netting to be installed at NBT Bank Stadium - Syracuse Chiefs
- Syracuse Salt Potatoes vs. Rochester Plates - Syracuse Chiefs
- Syracuse Chiefs Release 2018 Promotional Schedule: Season of Central New York - Syracuse Chiefs
- a Matchup of Epic Portions: Plates V. Potatoes - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Rochester Summer Soul Music Fest August 25-26
- DSO Returns to Frontier Field on August 3
- Red Wings Partner with Turnbull Heating and Air for 7th Inning Military Salute
- Red Wings Annual Star Wars Night Set for May 4
- a Matchup of Epic Portions: Plates V. Potatoes