New Safety Netting to be installed at NBT Bank Stadium
SYRAUCSE, NY - NBT Bank Stadium will have new extended safety netting installed just in time for the 2018 Syracuse Chiefs baseball season.
The Onondaga County Legislature approved the installation of the new netting in early February and the project will be completed by Opening Day 2018.
Major League Baseball commissioner, Rob Manfred recommended that all MLB teams install netting from the end of the dugouts for this season and the Minor Leagues have adopted that same policy. All MLB teams will have the netting in place by this season and the Minor League teams will soon follow.
"This was important to us for the safety of our fans" said Chiefs general manager, Jason Smorol "I am glad the County is on board as well, this is going to make the fan experience safer and more enjoyable this season and for years to come."
The new net will run from the outside end of the Home dugout to the outside end of the Visitor's dugout and be 30 feet high.
The netting is a welded seam netting with no tied knots to achieve 97% visibility.
"I congratulate the Onondaga County Legislature and the Chiefs for taking this action to further assure the safety and enjoyment of fans while at NBT Stadium. This move only enhances the fan friendly atmosphere that has always been part of Syracuse Chiefs Baseball." Said Randy Mobley, President of the International League.
Starting last season and within the next three seasons all teams in the International League and many more within Minor League Baseball will have the extended netting.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from March 3, 2018
- Chiefs Hire Michael Tricarico as New Broadcast Assistant - Syracuse Mets
- New Safety Netting to be installed at NBT Bank Stadium - Syracuse Mets
- Syracuse Salt Potatoes vs. Rochester Plates - Syracuse Mets
- Syracuse Chiefs Release 2018 Promotional Schedule: Season of Central New York - Syracuse Mets
- a Matchup of Epic Portions: Plates V. Potatoes - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets Announce Annual Garage Sale Dates
- Governor Cuomo Announces NY Mets, County Close To Finalizing Lease Extension To Keep Pro Baseball In Onondaga County For Next 25 Years
- 4th Annual Ballpark Craft Beer Festival at NBT Bank Stadium: Everything You Need to Know
- Chiefs Combine for Three-Hitter to Win Finale, 2-0
- Voth Stellar, Chiefs Hold on Late for 4-3 Win over the Bisons