8.30.17 Brault Named IL's Most Valuable Pitcher for 20
INDIANAPOLIS - The International League today announced its end-of-season award winners and 2017 Postseason All-Star Team, with Tribe left-handed starting pitcher Steven Brault being named as the League's Most Valuable Pitcher and starting pitcher on the IL Postseason All-Star squad.
Brault, 25, is in his third season as a member of the Pittsburgh organization following a Feb. 20, 2015, trade from the Baltimore Orioles. After receiving his first big league call-up in 2016, Brault dominated on the mound this year for the Tribe, going 10-5 with a league-leading 1.94 ERA (26 ER in 120.1 IP) in 21 games (20 starts). He currently ranks among IL leaders in batting average against (2nd, .199), WHIP (4th, 1.07), wins (T-7th) and strikeouts (T-12th, 109).
Brault could potentially become the third IL qualifying pitcher in the last three decades to complete an entire season with a sub-2.00 ERA. Further, Brault is on the verge of becoming the first Tribe pitcher since 1916 to win his respective league's ERA title while posting a clip below 2.00.
The California native joins Fred "Fritz" Ackley (1963), Ben Hendrickson (2004) and Zach Duke (2005) as the only pitchers in Indians history to be elected as the IL's Most Valuable Pitcher.
This is the first postseason All-Star selection of Brault's five-year career. He was also named to the IL midseason All-Star team and made a one-inning relief appearance for the IL in that game against the Pacific Coast League All-Stars back in mid-July.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 30, 2017
- 8.30.17 Tyler Austin Homers in RailRiders' Victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Travis Lifts PawSox to Thrilling 7-5 Win in 12 Innings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Chiefs Fall to IronPigs, 7-4, Wednesday - Syracuse Chiefs
- Rhys Hoskins Sweeps IL Postseasons Awards - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8.30.17 Tyler Wade Named Postseason All-Star - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Ozzie Albies Name International League Postseason All-Star - Gwinnett Stripers
- Pedro Alvarez Named to International League All-Star Tea - Norfolk Tides
- Garver, Granite Named International League Postseason All-Stars - Rochester Red Wings
- 8.30.17 Brault Named IL's Most Valuable Pitcher for 20 - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Postseason All-Stars, Award Winners Announced - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Indians and IronPigs Suspended by Rain
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (66-57) at Lehigh Valley IronPigs (74-49)
- Ortiz's Walk-Off Homer Sinks Indy Comeback Bid
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (66-56) at Lehigh Valley IronPigs (73-49)
- Indians and RailRiders Split Wednesday Doubleheader