Ozzie Albies Name International League Postseason All-Star
LAWRENCEVILLE, GA - In an announcement made today by the International League, former Gwinnett Braves infielder Ozzie Albies has been named to the 2017 International League Postseason All-Star Team. Albies, currently with the Atlanta Braves, was selected as the league's All-Star for second base.
Albies, 20, batted .285 (117-for-411) with 21 doubles, eight triples, nine home runs, 67 runs scored, 41 RBIs and 21 stolen bases in 97 games with Gwinnett this season, his second with the club. Upon having his contract selected by Atlanta on August 1, he ranked among IL offensive leaders in hits (T-1st), triples (T-1st), runs (2nd), at-bats (2nd), total bases (3rd, 181), stolen bases (5th), extra-base hits (T-7th, 38) and batting (11th). His .285 average currently ranks 10th in the league.
Albies was the IL's starting second baseman and leadoff hitter for the 2017 Triple-A All-Star Game on July 12 in Tacoma, WA. He went 2-for-5 with a double and a run scored in the IL's 6-4 loss to the Pacific Coast League.
Currently rated Atlanta's No. 2 prospect and the No. 19 prospect in baseball by MLB.com, Albies made his Major League debut for the Braves on August 1. The Willemstad, Curacao native is batting .261 (23-for-88) with five doubles, four triples, two home runs, 14 runs scored, 10 RBIs and two stolen bases over his first 25 games with Atlanta.
Albies' selection to the IL Postseason All-Star Team is Gwinnett's 10th all-time, following designated hitter Barbaro Canizares (2009, 2010), relief pitcher Jairo Asencio (2009), first baseman Freddie Freeman (2010), outfielder Stefan Gartrell (2011), starting pitcher Julio Teheran (2011), first baseman Ernesto Mejia (2012), outfielder Joey Terdoslavich (2013) and utility player Phil Gosselin (2014).
It is the second career Postseason All-Star award for Albies, who was named to the Class-A South Atlantic League's team for 2015 while with Rome.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 30, 2017
- 8.30.17 Tyler Austin Homers in RailRiders' Victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Travis Lifts PawSox to Thrilling 7-5 Win in 12 Innings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Chiefs Fall to IronPigs, 7-4, Wednesday - Syracuse Chiefs
- Rhys Hoskins Sweeps IL Postseasons Awards - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8.30.17 Tyler Wade Named Postseason All-Star - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Ozzie Albies Name International League Postseason All-Star - Gwinnett Stripers
- Pedro Alvarez Named to International League All-Star Tea - Norfolk Tides
- Garver, Granite Named International League Postseason All-Stars - Rochester Red Wings
- 8.30.17 Brault Named IL's Most Valuable Pitcher for 20 - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Postseason All-Stars, Award Winners Announced - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.