2017 CFL Game Notes
October 11, 2017 - Canadian Football League (CFL) News Release
OTTAWA AT SASKATCHEWAN 1. Notes & Trends - Ottawa at Saskatchewan:
Bakari Grant : Grant has come close to reaching 1,000 receiving yards once (2013) and been over the 400-yard mark in 7 straight seasons. He has yet to go over 1,000 but has a terrific chance this year. He has 887 yards to rank #10 in the CFL and needs 113 more to get to 1K. Grant has set a career-high with 72 catches this year.
William Powell: Powell ran for a career-high 187 yards two weeks ago, the highest single-game by an Ottawa REDBLACKS player in their 4-year history. Powell had his back-to-back-back 100-yard game streak stopped last week but ran for 92 crucial yards in the win over BC. Over his last 4 games Powell has 16 runs of 10+ yards on 82 carries with a total of 530 yards. Powell needs 166 yards in the REDBLACKS' final two contests to reach 1,000 in only 12 games.
Muamba and Eguavoen: The Riders linebacking duo has dominated the last 6 games - in that span they have combined for 75 tackles (Muamba 41, Eguavoen 34), 3 knockdowns, a forced fumble and an interception.
Duron Carter: After back-to-back games with just a single catch, Carter has 10 for 160 yards and 4 2nd down conversion garbs over the last two games. He has not scored a TD since his 6-game streak in mid-season.
Lavoie on the rise: Over the first 12 games, Patrick Lavoie had just 18 receptions on 22 targets. In the last 4 games however, he has become an important part of the Ottawa offence with 14 catches for 118 yards on 17 targets. He is one short of matching his career-best of 33 receptions set in his rookie season (2012).
2. Canadian QB History - Heading Into Week 17:
Canadian QB passing yards: Brandon Bridge has 817 passing yards in 2017 and that is the most by any Canadian QB since Bob Torrance had 837 yards in 1993. Here are the season statistics of Canadian QBs since 1983 ranked by most passing yards:
Canadian QB History: Since 1970 and the retirement of Russ Jackson after Ottawa's 1969 Grey Cup victory, there have been just 7 Canadian QBs who have started at least one game. Of those, 5 have led their club to at least one win as a starter. The most recent was Brandon Bridge who threw for 3 TDs and 231 yards in their 27-19 victory over Hamilton. Bridge's two starts on Nov 8/15 and Sep 15/17 were the most recent since Giulio Caravatta (BC) and Larry Jusdanis (HAM) in 1996
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from October 11, 2017
- Media Schedule: October 12-16 - Calgary Stampeders
- Eskimos this Week: Edmonton vs. Toronto - Edmonton Eskimos
- Stamps in the Community - Calgary Stampeders
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Media Schedule: October 12-16 - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Terrence Edwards Media - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Masoli Named a CFL Top Performer of the Week - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Brandon Zylstra Named CFL Player of the Week - Edmonton Eskimos
- Shaw CFL Top Performers - CFL
- 2017 CFL Game Notes - CFL
- Updated Toronto Argonauts Practice & Media Availability Schedule (October 11 - 15) - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.