Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to Hot-Shooting VipersMarch 2, 2013 - NBA Development League (D-League) - Santa Cruz Warriors
The Warriors were led by Travis Leslie, who scored 29 points, 16 of those in the first half. Hilton Armstrong recorded a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds, while Daniel Nwaelele provided a spark off the bench, draining 4-of-8 from distance to finish with 19. Cameron Jones scored 12 points and dished out a season-high eight assists.
Rio Grande Valley was paced by Andrew Goudelock, who had 25 of the Vipers' 73 first half points, finishing the night with 33 points, the most an opposing player has scored against Santa Cruz this season. Tyler Honeycutt, on assignment from the Houston Rockets, finished with 13 points and 7 rebounds, while Royce White, also on assignment from Houston, scored seven.
Rio Grande Valley poured in 41 points in 16-of-20 shooting from the field (59.3%) in the first quarter, the most Santa Cruz has given up in a single quarter. The Vipers finished the first half with 73 points, which was the most Santa Cruz has surrendered in a half. The largest lead of the game came at the 1:41 mark in the fourth quarter, with the Vipers holding a 37-point lead, 129-92.
The Vipers held the edge on the Warriors in just about every category. The Vipers shot 49.0% from the field compared to the Warriors' 38.0%, and led in three-point percentage, 48.6% to 26.9%. Rio Grande Valley tied the current NBA D-League season record with 17 three-pointers made in a game (they made a season record 17 three-pointers against Los Angeles on Jan. 7). Santa Cruz held the advantage on rebounds (53-46), but had more turnovers (25-17), recorded less assists (35-26) and had less steals (21-9).
The Warriors will tip-off against Rio Grande Valley tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. at the Kaiser Permanente Arena. All fans in attendance will receive Andrew Bogut bobbleheads. Fans can listen to the broadcast on the Santa Cruz Warriors flagship station, KION 1460AM/101.1FM, watch the game on KAXT-1 in the Bay Area or KOTR My 11 in the Santa Cruz area, or stream it online through the NBA D-League's YouTube channel, www.youtube.com/nbadleague.
NBA Development League Stories from March 2, 2013
- D-Fenders Outduel Jam - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Jam Stumble against D-Fenders - Bakersfield Jam
- Mad Ants Corral Stampede - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Legends Defeat Bighorns Behind Dentmon's 26 - Texas Legends
- Gibson's Late Three Sinks Springfield - Canton Charge
- 66ers Show Resiliency in Late Comeback - Tulsa 66ers
- Bighorns Drop Close Game in Texas - Reno Bighorns
- Idaho Falls to Fort Wayne - Idaho Stampede
- Cavaliers Assign Kevin Jones to Charge - Canton Charge
- Cleveland Cavaliers Re-Assign Kevin Jones to NBA D-League Affiliate Canton Charge - D-League
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to Hot-Shooting Vipers - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Mitchell Explodes Late to Lead Ants to Huge Win - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Tulsa Wins Thriller over Reno - Tulsa 66ers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.