Chicago Fire Defeat Charleston Battery 2-1 in MLS Preseason ClashFebruary 20, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Chicago Fire
The hosts opened scoring in the 11th minute when Nicki Patterson split the Fire defense and played a square ball through to Jose Cuevas who slotted the ball under a sliding Paolo Tornaghi to give the Battery the 1-0 lead.
The Fire would pull level in the 28th minute. Chris Rolfe collected the ball on the right flank and turned towards goal, nutmegged the Battery defender and was dragged down 35 yards from goal. Joel Lindpere whipped in the ensuing free kick into the penalty area and found Austin Berry at the spot. The reigning MLS Rookie of the Year rose above his defender to head the ball down and shielded the ball as it rolled over the line for the equalizer.
The Fire continued to press and came close to taking the lead in the 38th minute. Newly minted midfielder Dilly Duka collected the ball on the left sideline, fought off his defender and unleashed a shot from the top of the 18-yard box that ricocheted off the right post.
Head Coach Frank Klopas made nine substitutions at the half as he continues to evaluate players for his final roster decisions.
As the game wound down and looked to end in a draw, Maicon Santos received the ball and played a square ball to his countryman. Alex took a touch and unleashed a right-footed blast from 30 yards out that bended past the Charleston 'keeper for the late 90th minute game-winner.
With two wins to their credit, the Fire sit atop the standings of the Carolina Challenge Cup. The Houston Dynamo and Vancouver Whitecaps FC are tied with three points and the Charleston Battery have zero.
The Fire close out Carolina Challenge Cup play when they face Vancouver Whitecaps FC at 4:00 p.m. CT at Blackbaud Stadium on Saturday, Feb. 23. Watch the match live on USLNation.com.
Chicago Fire Season Tickets and #cf97withdrawals Winter Packs, which give fans the opportunity to witness the Men in Red in action on Opening Night against the New England Revolution on Saturday, March 9 at 6:30 p.m. CT (NBC Sports Network), while donning the four Fire hats and four pairs of Fire gloves, are available by calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE, via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at www.Chicago-Fire.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2013
- San Jose Earthquakes, AIK Draw 0-0 in Portland - San Jose Earthquakes
- Late Charge Lifts Dynamo over Whitecaps 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire Defeat Charleston Battery 2-1 in MLS Preseason Clash - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Scores Two Late Goals to Beat New England 3-2 in FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Union Draw 1-1 with D.C. United in Deltona Scrimmage - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Selects Carlos Ruiz Via MLS Allocation Process - D.C. United
- Striker Corey Hertzog scores his second of the preseason in 2-1 loss - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Falls 2-1 to Orlando City S.C. - Montreal Impact
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Thorns FC Sign Defender Jazmyne Avant - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Jonny Steele - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy to hold U-12 tryouts in Orange County and South Bay regions - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Doug Quinn Steps Down as FC Dallas President and CEO - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Acquire English Midfielder Andrew Driver - Houston Dynamo
- Sounders FC Acquires Two Draft Picks - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Sign French Defender Mikael Silvestre - Portland Timbers
- D.C. United Official Bar Partner "March to March 9 Trophy Tour" Set for February 23 - March 8 - D.C. United
- Attack Comes Alive as LA Galaxy Beat Club Tijuana 6-2 in Home Preseason Finale - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Plays Gangwon FC to Scoreless Draw - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.