Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Jonny Steele
HARRISON, NJ (Feb. 20, 2013) - The New York Red Bulls announced today that they signed midfielder Jonny Steele. New York and Steele agreed to terms after the Red Bulls acquired Steele's MLS first right of refusal from Real Salt Lake in exchange for a conditional supplemental draft pick.
"Jonny is a player who our coaching staff is very familiar with and believe will provide depth in our midfield," said Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh. "We are pleased to have agreed to a contract with Jonny and look forward to his contribution this season."
Steele, 27, played for one season with Real Salt Lake, making 28 regular season appearances (11 starts) and notching two goals and two assists. The Northern Ireland midfielder began his career with English side, Wolverhampton Wanderers in 2002 and has played for a number of clubs since then, including the then-A League sides Syracuse Salty Dogs (2004) and Rochester Raging Rhinos (2005-06) and Irish club Ballymena United (2005). In 2007, Steele featured for the Carolina Railhawks of the USL First Division.
Steele was a standout with USL-1 side, the Puerto Rico Islanders, from 2008-09, earning USL-1 MVP honors and helping his club win the league championship. During his time there, Steele had six goals in 49 games played. Steele played for the Vancouver Whitecaps (2010), FC Tampa Bay (2010-11) and the Railhawks again on loan (2011) prior to joining Real Salt Lake. With Carolina, Steele was a part of the squad that helped the Railhaawks win the league's regular season title, making 22 appearances.
He has represented Northern Ireland at several youth levels and was part of the Under-19 squad that played in the 2005 UEFA Championship.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2013
- San Jose Earthquakes, AIK Draw 0-0 in Portland - San Jose Earthquakes
- Late Charge Lifts Dynamo over Whitecaps 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire Defeat Charleston Battery 2-1 in MLS Preseason Clash - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Scores Two Late Goals to Beat New England 3-2 in FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Union Draw 1-1 with D.C. United in Deltona Scrimmage - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Selects Carlos Ruiz Via MLS Allocation Process - D.C. United
- Striker Corey Hertzog scores his second of the preseason in 2-1 loss - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Falls 2-1 to Orlando City S.C. - Montreal Impact
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Thorns FC Sign Defender Jazmyne Avant - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Jonny Steele - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy to hold U-12 tryouts in Orange County and South Bay regions - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Doug Quinn Steps Down as FC Dallas President and CEO - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Acquire English Midfielder Andrew Driver - Houston Dynamo
- Sounders FC Acquires Two Draft Picks - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Sign French Defender Mikael Silvestre - Portland Timbers
- D.C. United Official Bar Partner "March to March 9 Trophy Tour" Set for February 23 - March 8 - D.C. United
- Attack Comes Alive as LA Galaxy Beat Club Tijuana 6-2 in Home Preseason Finale - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Plays Gangwon FC to Scoreless Draw - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Match Preview: New York Travels West to Face LA Galaxy on Saturday
- New York Drops Three Points to Chicago at Home
- Match Preview: New York Welcomes Chicago for Annual Autism Awareness Match
- Red Bull Arena to Host Juventus F.C. vs S.L. Benfica in International Champions Cup
- New York Remains Perfect at Home, Defeats Montreal, 3-1