Cougars Captain Brock Hirsche Announces Retirement from WHLDecember 5, 2012 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Prince George Cougars
Earlier this week, Hirsche had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder. It was the second major shoulder surgery for Hirsche in the past two years. Hirsche's 2011-2012 season was limited to just eight games, while this season he appeared in 18.
Hirsche's WHL career consisted of 161 regular season games and seven playoff appearances. Throughout his career he managed 26 goals and 61 points to go along with 89 penalty minutes during the regular season, and two more assists during the playoffs. While his hustle and talent helped him stand out on the ice, it was his strong character and leadership that endeared Hirsche to the fans, his teammates, and the coaching staff.
"This is a hard day for the entire Prince George Cougars organization," said Prince George Cougars Head Coach Dean Clark. "Brock Hirsche was an excellent leader, and a man who truly cares about his teammates and the organization."
20-year-old defenceman Daniel Gibb (Prince George, B.C.) will take over the Prince George Cougars captaincy while fellow 20-year-old Ryan Hanes (Kamloops, B.C.) has been named an alternate captain.
"Daniel Gibb will be an excellent captain for us," adds Dean Clark. "He has the same passion for the Prince George Cougars that Brock Hirsche has."
The Prince George Cougars want to thank Brock Hirsche for his four strong seasons, and want to extend their best wishes to the entire Hirsche family during his recovery period.
Western Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2012
- Pats Fall to Red Deer 5-1 - Regina Pats
- Cougars Captain Brock Hirsche Announces Retirement from WHL - Prince George Cougars
- Tigers Donate $5000.00 in Scholarships to 40th Hockey Hound Bantam Tournament - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Blazers Name Willick as Captain - Kamloops Blazers
- Trevor Linden Returns to Medicine Hat this Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Broncos Call up Gawdin - Swift Current Broncos
- Teddy Bear Night Saturday, December 8th - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Jordan Eberle Honoured Tonight - Regina Pats
- Pats vs Red Deer Rebels Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Silvertips Lose Heartbreaker in Portland - Everett Silvertips
- Blazers Down Broncos 2-1 - Kamloops Blazers
- Brendan Leipsic Nets Four Goals in 7-5 Winterhawks Win over Everett - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.