Houston Dynamo Announce 2012 Team AwardsNovember 27, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Houston Dynamo
With players, coaches, front office, fans, and sponsors in attendance, the Dynamo honored many of their award winners and announced several others, ranging from Dynamo Academy players to first team players to Dynamo Girls. A portion of proceeds from the event will benefit Dynamo Charities.
Midfielder Brad Davis won his fourth consecutive team Most Valuable Player award. Davis set a career high with eight regular season goals and reached 12 assists for the fourth consecutive season while earning his fifth MLS all-star selection.
Midfielder Boniek Garcia was named Newcomer of the Year and Players' Player of the Year after joining the Dynamo in June from Olimpia of Honduras. Garcia helped lead the Dynamo to the playoffs for the sixth time in seven seasons with four goals and six assists in the regular season. He also has played 90 minutes in all 22 games, including playoffs.
Bobby Boswell earned Defender of the Year honors for the third time in five seasons in Houston. Boswell helped the Dynamo record 12 shutouts while playing in 33 regular season games, a high for Dynamo field players.
Forward Will Bruin earned the Dynamo's Budweiser Golden Boot award after recording 12 goals in the regular season and adding four more in the playoffs. Bruin has set a franchise record with 16 goals this season and a club playoff record with four goals this postseason.
The full list of Dynamo Awards winners:
Most Valuable Player : Brad Davis
Player's Player of the Year : Boniek Garcia
Newcomer of the Year : Boniek Garcia
Defender of the Year : Bobby Boswell
Young Player of the Year : Will Bruin (U-23)
Budweiser Golden Boot : Will Bruin (most MLS goals)
MLS W.O.R.K.S. Dynamo Humanitarian of the Year : Will Bruin
Ironman of the Year : Tally Hall (most MLS minutes played)
Play of the Year : Adam Moffat's goal vs. Sporting Kansas City on Nov. 4
Game of the Year : Nov. 11, Dynamo 3, D.C. United 1, Eastern Conference Championship, Leg 1
Dynamo Academy Player of the Year : Carlos Ibarra
Dynamo Academy Players' Player of the Year : Jose Rodriguez
Fan of the Year : Donald Lee
Team Spirit Award : Corrie Shamblin (Dynamo Girls)
Foreover Orange Award : Councilmember James Rodriguez (outstanding outside contributor)
The Houston Dynamo will play the Los Angeles Galaxy in their second consecutive and fourth overall MLS Cup Final on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. CT (TV: ESPN/TeleFutura; Radio: KPRC 950 AM) at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. For more information, visit www.houstondynamo.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from November 27, 2012
- Houston Dynamo Announce 2012 Team Awards - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- 2012 Latino del Año: Voting is now open for the Semifinal round - Los Angeles Galaxy
- "Growing Pains" Accompany Growth in 2012 - New England Revolution
- MLS Commissioner addresses Beckham & Donovan in annual State of the League - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane Named to MLS Best XI - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Announce 2012 Team Awards - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Forward Eddie Johnson Named 2012 MLS Comeback Player of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Kevin Payne Steps Down as President and CEO - D.C. United
- Major League Soccer Announces 2012 Coach of the Year and Comeback Player of the Year - MLS
- San Jose Earthquakes' Frank Yallop Named MLS Coach of the Year - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.