Idaho Adds Two, Including Hobey Baker FinalistOctober 23, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Idaho Steelheads
Idaho (ECHL) and Texas (AHL) are the primary development affiliates of the NHL's Dallas Stars.
Smith led the NCAA in goals last season (36) at Colgate and was one of ten finalists for the Hobey Baker Award, given annually to the best NCAA college hockey player. He signed an entry-level contract with the Stars organization last spring after finishing his college career with more points (160) than games played (153). Smith was selected in the 5th round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Stars.
The 22-year-old Tousignant (pronounced TOO-zihn-yah) was a member of Idaho's 2010 ECHL Western Conference championship team. He appeared in a total of 33 games for Idaho during the '09-'10 season, splitting the campaign between Idaho and Texas, totaling 20 points (seven goals, 13 assists) and 80 penalty minutes with Idaho during the regular season and postseason. He has spent the last two seasons playing in the AHL with Texas, appearing in 113 games with Idaho's AHL affiliate.
Also, Ralph announced that Idaho has traded defenseman Deron Cousens to the Greenville Road Warriors in exchange for future considerations.
"Deron can really play, but we're caught in a numbers crunch, simple as that," Ralph said of the trade. "I didn't want to move him, but he also deserves an opportunity to get on the ice and play."
Cousens was acquired by Idaho from Florida late during the 2011-12 season, appearing in three regular-season games and all ten of Idaho's games during the playoffs.
Suites to an Idaho Steelheads hockey game are a great way to get friends, clients, or customers together for an enjoyable evening in downtown Boise. Suites start at $550, feature a private area for visiting and viewing the game, come with specialized wait staff, and also come with at least 12 tickets to the game. Suites for late November and December are booking quickly for holiday parties. Contact the Idaho Steelheads front office at 208.383.0080 for more information.
ECHL Stories from October 23, 2012
- 'Blades Announce Details of Inaugural "Sticks and Staches" Kickoff Set for Friday - Florida Everblades
- Condors Team Poster and Youth Jersey Giveaway this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Idaho Adds Two, Including Hobey Baker Finalist - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Add NHL Experience with Lampman, Brodeur - Orlando Solar Bears
- Road Warriors Deal for Defenseman - Greenville Road Warriors
- ECHL Transactions - October 23 - ECHL
- Wings Stadium Spooky Skate Returns on Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Bolster Netminding with Tyler Plante - Colorado Eagles
- Youds Assigned to Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Robinson Named ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho's Robinson Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Gladiators Host Try Hockey for Free Day - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Artem Demkov Named ECHL Player of the Week - Elmira Jackals
- Elmira's Demkov Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.