Diaz, Arias Lead Dragons to 12-6 WinAugust 16, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Dayton Dragons
The Dragons scored in five consecutive innings and scored at least two runs in five of their first six innings at the plate. Diaz and Arias both had a single, double, homer, three runs scored, and two runs batted in to lead a 15-hit Dragons attack. Kyle Waldrop also enjoyed a three-hit night and Yorman Rodriguez drove in four runs.
After Lake County took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning, Rodriguez tied the game with a high chopper that just cleared the glove of the leaping third baseman to bring in two runs. In the third, Rodriguez delivered a nearly identical high bouncing two-run single over the third baseman to make it 4-2.
Dayton took a 6-3 lead with two runs in the fourth, including a solo homer by Diaz, his first of the season. They added three more in the fifth, getting a two-run home run from Arias, his fourth of the year, to make it 9-3. Waldrop drove in a run with a single in the sixth and Diaz delivered a run-scoring double in the seventh to highlight the rest of the night. The 12 runs were the most for the Dragons since July 4 when they scored 17.
Dragons starting pitcher Radhames Quezada worked the first two innings in his first game since missing a month with shoulder soreness. He allowed three hits and two runs with three walks and two strikeouts. Wes Mugarian (2-3) followed Quezada and was credited with the victory. He tossed six innings, the longest relief outing of the year for a Dayton pitcher. He allowed six hits and three runs with one walk and four strikeouts. El'Hajj Muhammad worked the final inning and allowed a solo home run for his only hit.
The Dragons (22-28) host the Captains (27-24) again on Friday at Fifth Third Field at 7:00 p.m. in the finale of the three-game series. Robert Stephenson (2-0, 3.00) will start for Dayton against Lake County's Mason Radeke (5-6, 3.77). The Dragons begin a seven-game road trip at Fort Wayne on Saturday night at 7:05.
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2012
- Whitecaps' Comeback Soured By Walk-Off Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers hold on to beat Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Lose 4-0 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Fall Despite 9th Inning Rally - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits roll Kernels, 8-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Outpaced by Hot Rods - Great Lakes Loons
- Groff's Tenth-Inning Knock Lifts Hawks - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Markel Continues Surge, Hot Rods Win in Great Lakes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- River Bandits Keep Hot Streak against Kernels in 8-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Diaz, Arias Lead Dragons to 12-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Even Series, Beat Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts fall, 2-0, in rain-shortened shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Slug Captains 12-6 - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win 2-0, Secure Series Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings At-Bat against Traumatic Brain Injuries - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Gameday for August 16 - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Announce "Kings of the Diamond" Softball Tournament - Clinton LumberKings
- Track the Backwoods of Bowling Green at the Ballpark - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees to Welcome Three Millionth Fan - Burlington Bees
- Two Big Innings Lift LumberKings in Kane County - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Beat Peoria, 5-1 - Burlington Bees
- Snappers Win in Slug Fest 13-10 over Wisconsin - Beloit Snappers
- Snappers outslug Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.