Biscuits Beat Stars in Grand FashionAugust 15, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Huntsville Stars
Pena, making his fourth start for the Stars this season, started the game on shaky ground. He gave up back-to-back singles to center fielder Ty Morrison and third baseman Omar Luna to get the Biscuits in scoring position. He struck out the next batter then hit Derek Dietrich to load the bases with two outs. The 23-year-old Pena had a tough time finding the strike zone, walking the next two batters, giving Montgomery a 2-0 lead. With the bases still loaded, left fielder Brett Nommensen hit a grand slam to right field on a 3-1 pitch. Pena finally got the next batter to ground out to end the inning.
Pena took the mound to start the second inning and gave up a lead-off single to Shawn O'Malley. He stole second and scored on a single by Dietrich, chasing Pena from the game after just 1.2 innings. He allowed all seven earned runs on five hits while walking three and striking out two. This was Pena's shortest outing since joining the Stars back in July.
The Stars avoided a shutout thanks to a solo home run by designated hitter Domint Bolivar in the third inning. Left fielder Brock Kjeldgaard (1-for-5) made it a ballgame in the next inning, thanks to a three-run bomb that might still be stuck in the trees over the outfield fence.
The Biscuits extended their lead with two more unanswered runs in the sixth and eighth innings off of reliever Dan Meadows.
After the fourth inning homer, the Stars offense only managed three more hits. Offensively, Hunter Morris went 3-for-5 with one run and one RBI. Angel Gonzalez went 2-for-3 with a run scored, a RBI and drew two walks.
The Stars and Biscuits face off again tomorrow night for Bud Light Thirst-Aid Thursday at 6:43 p.m.
Southern League Stories from August 15, 2012
- Late Runs Sink Wahoos 4-2 in Mobile - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Braves Win Pitchers Duel 2-1 over Generals Wednesday - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits Beat Stars in Grand Fashion - Huntsville Stars
- Nommensen's Grand Slam Keys 4th-Straight Win - Montgomery Biscuits
- Struck Dominates, But Barons Snap Smokies Streak - Tennessee Smokies
- M-Braves Sink Generals 2-1 - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Rally Late to Pick up 3,000th Franchise Win - Birmingham Barons
- Lookouts Outshine Suns, 9-6 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- LHP Merklinger Released - Huntsville Stars
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Shawn McGill to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- LHP Scott Elbert Joins Lookouts on Major League Rehab Assignment - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Pen Air Partners with Blue Wahoos to Offer Blue Wahoos MasterCard - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Blue Wahoos Snuff BayBears Comeback in Ninth - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Split Double-Header with Braves - Jackson Generals
- Generals Walk off in Game Two to Force Doubleheader Split, 4-2 and 4-3 - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.