LA Galaxy Midfielder Landon Donovan Voted MLS Player of the WeekAugust 13, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
Donovan assisted on all four Galaxy goals as LA overpowered Chivas USA 4-0 in the SuperClasico on Sunday night.
With his four-assist performance, Donovan is just the fourth player in MLS league history to record four assists in a game joining an elite group that includes Carlos Valderrama, Chris Henderson, and Dwayne De Rosario.
For the first goal of the night, Donovan made a run into the box and received a pass from teammate Robbie Keane. After Chivas goalkeeper Dan Kennedy came off his line to disrupt the play, Donovan sent the ball back to Keane who was sprinting toward the penalty spot. Keane controlled the pass and sent a low shot into the back of the net from six yards out.
In the 64th minute Donovan served as the catalyst for goal number two. After carrying the ball up the left sideline, he cut inside and found Juninho with a pass to the top of the box. Juninho placed his shot in the top right corner of the net to double the lead.
Just 10 minutes later, Donovan again found the Brazilian with a pinpoint cross to the far post. Juninho tapped in a simple volley from four yards out to bring the scored to 3-0.
Donovan capped off his four-assist performance by sending a corner kick to Omar Gonzalez positioned in the middle of the area. Gonzalez headed home the Galaxy's fourth and final goal of the game.
The award is the fourteenth of Donovan's MLS career, having also garnered the honor during Week 16 of this season.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information and membership information can be found athttp://www.soccerreporters.com/. www.MLSsoccer.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from August 13, 2012
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Host Sporting Kansas City in Reserve League Action Tomorrow - Houston Dynamo
- Weekly Update: Rapids Host Chivas USA on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- Weekly Update: Red Bulls Host Portland Timbers Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Match Preview: Crew Aims to "Blackout the Galaxy" on National Television Wednesday Night - Columbus Crew
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Landon Donovan Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- RSL and Zions Bank to Host 3rd-Annual Ligas All-Star Game - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Look to Stifle New England Revolution - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Loses SuperClÃ¡sico Third Leg - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes F Alan Gordon Added to Us Men's National Team Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.