Newport Falls 2-0 on the Road in New BedfordJuly 28, 2012 - New England Collegiate Baseball League (NECBL) Newport Gulls
The Gulls managed just two hits against New Bedford starter Brian Derner, who threw six innings to pitch a complete game shutout and improve to 3-1 overall this summer.
Newport starter Adam Ravenelle struck out a season-high 11 batters in five innings of work, but allowed two runs on three hits with two walks, taking the loss, falling to 1-2 overall this season.
The Bay Sox offense could only muster three hits off Ravenelle, but broke through for a pair of runs in the bottom of the third inning that turned out to be the difference. New Bedford second baseman Evan King roped a one-out single and advanced to second on an error by Ravenelle before shortstop Peyton Hart walked to put runners at first and second. King and Hart scored on back-to-back wild pitches to break the stalemate.
The Gulls will be back in action taking on the Sanford Mainers on the road on Thursday, July 26.
Mitch Horacek (4-1, .3.68 ERA) will be on the mound for Newport.
• Discuss this story on the New England Collegiate Baseball League message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
New England Collegiate Baseball League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Mainers' Bats Cruise in 17-4 Victory Over Vermont - Sanford Mainers
- Newport Falls 2-0 on the Road in New Bedford - Newport Gulls
- Mainers Trounce Vermont in 17-5 Loss - Vermont Mountaineers
- Hunter's Strong Start Paces 'Cats to 5-2 Win Ove - North Adams SteepleCats
- North Adams Defeats Keene 5-2 - Keene Swamp Bats
- Mainers Explode in Game One, Edged in Game Two - Sanford Mainers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.