Salem Snaps Skid, Blasts Carolina 12-3July 4, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Salem Red Sox
Heiker Meneses and Christian Vazquez each picked up three RBI and collected two hits for the Sox, while Matty Johnson, Michael Almanzar, and Sean Coyle all delivered three-hit nights for Salem. After going just 6-for-32 with runners in scoring position in the three games at Myrtle Beach, the Red Sox went 9-for-22 in clutch situations on Independence Day, becoming free from the burden of a five-game slide.
Six of the first eight Sox hitters recorded base hits in the five-run first inning, with five different men driving in runs in the opening frame. The Mudcats scored a run in the third to make it 5-1, but Salem quickly retaliated to take a 6-1 lead in the fourth before sending five more runs across in the fifth to take an 11-1 lead. Meneses' two-run triple was the only extra-base hit in the second five-run rally, joining three singles and four walks to give the Sox a 10-run cushion.
In his final frame on the mound, Workman surrendered a two-run homer to Giovanny Urshela that made it 11-3. Workman rebounded to finish the sixth, dealing 86 pitches and 58 strikes in sixth win on the season. Workman scattered nine hits and allowed three runs, striking out four and walking none. In relief, Michael Gleason earned his third save, dealing three scoreless innings out of the Salem pen.
The Sox scored their final run of the night in the top of the ninth, taking a 12-3 lead on Xander Bogaerts' infield single with the bases loaded. Bogaerts knock gave every Salem starter at least one hit in the night, as the Sox outhit the Mudcats 19-10.
The Red Sox and Mudcats reunite on Thursday evening, with Salem sending Miguel Celestino to the mound opposite Michael Goodnight. First pitch is set for 7:15.
Carolina League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Salem Snaps Skid, Blasts Carolina 12-3 - Salem Red Sox
- Mummey Mash Keys Victory - Frederick Keys
- Winston Sets Attendance Record in Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Sox Thump Mudcats - Carolina Mudcats
- Pelicans Win Fifth Straight, 8-4 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- P-Nats Cough up Late Lead on the Fourth of July - Potomac Nationals
- Three Homers Spark 'Cats in Offensive Outburst - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Rocks Go Down Fighting on the Fourth - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- INF Chad Tracy Added to Nationals Roster - Potomac Nationals
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Righties Shuffled on Dash Roster - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.