Dragons Squash Hawks with 24-Hit AttackJuly 4, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
Joe Terry and Kyle Waldrop each tallied four hits for the Dragons while Yorman Rodriguez, Yovan Gonzalez and Jefry Sierra unleashed three-hit performances. The Dragons combined to hit seven doubles in the game.
Silver Hawks starter John Pedrotty (5-6) allowed eight first-inning runs and took the loss for South Bend, allowing eight runs - seven earned - on seven hits over 0.1 innings. The first eight Dragons reached base against the southpaw.
Dan Jensen (4-8) earned the win out of the Dayton bullpen, allowing three earned runs on four hits over three innings. Dragons starter Carlos Gonzalez did not qualify for the win, tossing four innings of one-run, three-hit baseball.
Ryan Court and Marc Bourgeois each went 2-for-4 while Matt Helm hit his fourth home run of the season, a solo shot in the second inning. Fidel Pena went 1-for-4 with an RBI double, extending his team-leading active hitting streak to 10 games.
After an eight-run first inning, the Dragons piled on with four in the second, two in the fourth, a run in the fifth and two more in the sixth.
Keith Hessler recorded the final two outs of the first inning and continued to pitch 2.2 innings, surrendering four runs - three earned - on five hits. Kable Hogben tossed two innings of three-run, seven-hit baseball. Seth Simmons worked the final three innings and allowed two earned runs on five hits.
Dayton's 24 hits are the most in any Midwest League game this season.
The Silver Hawks and Dragons continue the three-game series Thursday at Fifth Third Field. Right-hander Willy Paredes (1-1, 3.32) makes his first start for South Bend while Dayton's Wes Mugarian will appear in his first game for the Dragons. First pitch is slated for 7:00 p.m. EST. The Silver Hawks return home Saturday to take on the Fort Wayne TinCaps. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com.
Midwest League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Bees' Struggles in Peoria Continue, Lose 8-2 - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Lose on the 4th to Quad Cities - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels fall to Wisconsin, 10-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Gaviglio, Offense Push Bandits Past Cougars for 12-7 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whitecaps Open Homestand With 4th Of July Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Pierre, Lugs provide late fireworks in 8-4 win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Break Club Hits Record in 17-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Squash Hawks with 24-Hit Attack - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Two out Magic Helps Captains Win 6-1 - Lake County Captains
- Lansing Tops Loons on July 4 - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Dominant in 8-1 Independence Day Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Rocket Past Kernels With Big Eighth Inning - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Geiger and Zapata Homer Chiefs to Holiday Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Goeddel Homers But Big Inning Dooms Hot Rods - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves: July 4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.