Hawks withstand Pillar HR, top Lugs in 10July 2, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
With the Lugnuts down to their final out in the ninth, Kevin Pillar walloped a no-doubt three-run homer off Hawks relief ace Jake Barrett to tie the game at 5-5.
In the bottom of the tenth, however, Brandon Berl (Loss, 2-4) allowed a leadoff double to Eric Groff. After a sacrifice bunt and an intentional walk put runners at the corners, Navarro punched a game-winning single on the first pitch he saw from Berl.
Lugs starter David Rollins shut out the Silver Hawks over three innings of work but matched a career-high with five walks while striking out two and giving up two hits.
Four arms came out of the Lansing bullpen and combined to surrender all six runs over 6 1/3 innings of work.
Aleson Escalante gave up a 1-0 Lugnuts lead by surrendering a pair of tallies over 2 2/3 innings including a homer in the fourth.
With the game tied at two, Phil Brua allowed three runs in the seventh inning.
Bryan Longpre twirled two scoreless innings out of the 'pen to stabilize matters for Lansing, allowing just one hit.
Kable Hogben (Win, 3-2) threw a perfect tenth inning for the Silver Hawks.
South Bend starter Tyler Green set a career-high with six innings pitched while allowing six hits, two walks and striking out four.
K.C. Hobson recorded two doubles in five at-bats with an RBI that tied the game in the sixth; Kenny Wilson reached base three times and stole two bases; Gustavo Pierre added an RBI double in the third; Carlos Perez tallied three hits in his final three at-bats and scored a run.
The Lugnuts are 3-5 on their season-long, nine-game road trip.
In the rubber match against the Silver Hawks the Lugnuts send northpaw Noah Syndergaard (4-2, 3.35) to the mound opposite South Bend right-hander J.R. Bradley (5-4, 4.61) on Tuesday, July 3rd at 7:35 p.m.
Lansing will return home on Wednesday, July 4th for a 7:05 p.m. game against the Great Lakes Loons. The opener of a three-game homestand will feature LAFCU Fireworks. Tickets are available for purchase online at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from July 2, 2012
- Quad Cities' Winning Streak Snapped in 9-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Beloit bites Kernels with another one-run loss, 6-5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Navarro Delivers Game-Winner in Extras - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Carpenter Stellar But Hot Rods Fall Late - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Buckley's Homer Lifts Dragons to Comeback Win - Dayton Dragons
- Sanchez's Seven Guide Loons to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Burlington Bees
- Hawks withstand Pillar HR, top Lugs in 10 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Lose for Sixth Straight Night - Peoria Chiefs
- West Michigan Nearly No-Hit In 1-0 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers Rock River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Score Shutout Win over Chiefs - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Hang On, Defeat Captains, 5-4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fort Wayne Rallies Late and Wins 5-4 - Lake County Captains
- Former Kernels Trout, Trumbo and Napoli Selected to MLB All-Star Game - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- OF Lee Orr Placed on DL - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Voting Underway for Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Shane Riedie joins Kernels from Orem; Eswarlin Jimenez placed on DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- MWL Honors Sanchez as Pitcher of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- Pair of Former Cougars Named Major League All-Stars - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for July 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Tickets for July 4 and 5 Whitecaps Games on Sale for $5 Today - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.