Generals Outshine StarsJune 23, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Huntsville Stars
In the second inning, the Stars managed their only action off of Fernandez in the entire ballgame. After a double by Stars newcomer Hainley Statia, a RBI single by left fielder Scott Krieger gave the Stars an early 1-0 lead. For Krieger, it was his third consecutive game with a run batted in.
However, from that point on, the Generals dominated the rest of the game.
The Stars lead vanished for good in the third inning with a two-out rally from the Jackson offense off of Huntsville starter Kyle Heckathorn. After a walk by shortstop Gabriel Noriega and a single from third baseman Leury Bonilla, second baseman Stefan Romero hit a three-run homerun to put the Generals up 3-1.
Jackson would then plate insurance runs in the sixth inning on a solo home run by designated hitter Joe Dunigan and in the seventh inning on a RBI triple by Romero to increase their lead to 5-1.
That lead was plenty for Fernandez. The 22-year-old lefty went the distance in his first ever Double-A game, only giving up one run on five hits while striking out five. Prior to his debut, Fernandez was 2-5 with a 3.48 ERA with High-A High Desert this season.
After being tabbed with the loss, Heckathorn fell to 2-7 on the season after giving up four runs and seven hits in six innings of work. The 24-year-old has not won a game since May 9th.
On the pitching side, LHP Dan Meadows gave up a run in an inning of relief and RHP Darren Byrd pitched a scoreless frame.
Game four of a five-game series will begin on Sunday as the Stars will send RHP Hiram Burgos (2-1, 2.40 ERA) to the mound to square off against Generals RHP Brandon Maurer (5-1, 3.82 ERA). First pitch is at 6:05 PM.
Southern League Stories from June 23, 2012
- Generals Outshine Stars - Huntsville Stars
- Suns' Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short - Jacksonville Suns
- Wahoos Break out Bats in 6-4 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- M-Braves' Comeback Falls Short, Lose to Birmingham 6-4 - Mississippi Braves
- Smokies Score Early, Hold off Late Suns' Rally in 7-6 Win - Tennessee Smokies
- Blue Wahoos Top Lookouts, 6-4 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Generals' Fernandez Fires Complete Game In Double-A Debut - Jackson Generals
- Obispo Returns To Blue Wahoos - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Reed Promoted To Triple-A New Orleans - Jacksonville Suns
- INF Statia to Huntsville - Huntsville Stars
- Stars Nipped by Dunigan, Generals - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.