Take That! Lisk Delivers In The 11thJune 21, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) River City Rascals
Pitching was the story for most of the night as both starters gave up two runs in seven innings while the Rascals' Preston Vancil dominated the first five innings, striking out seven during that stretch, and ten for the game, with only four hits allowed.
The Rascals (19-13) gave Vancil a 2-0 lead in the fourth when Jason Patton and Kyle Jones delivered back-to-back run-scoring singles with two outs. The Grizzlies (16-16) finally got to Vancil in the sixth after a walk followed a leadoff single. A sac hit, sac fly, and two-out single brought the tying run home before the bullpens settled in.
It appeared that the Grizzlies had taken the lead in the eighth inning on a single to left but Eric Williams threw a dart to the plate and with the runner colliding into him as the ball arrived, Rascal catcher Ben Hewett was able to make the catch and awkward tag to keep the game tied at 2-2.
Brandon Cunniff pitched two scoreless innings in relief for the Rascals before giving way to Justin Gill in the 10th. Gill would strike out two, but was pulled from the game after hitting a batter to put runners and first and second before Dustin Umberger got the Gateway three-hole hitter to pop out to end the threat.
River City was retired in order in the 10th, Umberger set down Gateway in order in the top of the 11th before Lisk's heroics in the 11th. It was the 120th homerun for Lisk in his Frontier League career, all but his first two and the seven coming with the Gateway Grizzlies.
The Rascals' five-series losing streak comes to an end as they go for the sweep of their crosstown rivals Friday night with first pitch set for 7:05. Gateway sends rookie Ja'Vaun West (0-1, 7.11) to the mound against fellow rookie Jason Sullivan (3-1, 3.20) for River City.
Frontier League Stories from June 21, 2012
- Otters Explode in 12th Inning for 6-3 Win at Southern Illinois - Evansville Otters
- Miners Lose in Extras - Southern Illinois Miners
- Take That! Lisk Delivers In The 11th - River City Rascals
- Rascals Walk off for Second Straight Game against Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts defeat Beach Bums - Windy City ThunderBolts
- ThunderBolts Claim Game Two - Traverse City Beach Bums
- CornBelters edge RiverHawks, 3-2 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Maxwell Leads Slammers to 2-1 Win - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Edged in Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters defeat Rockford - Normal CornBelters
- Matt Fields Has Contract Purchased by Royals - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rippers Respond to Liquor License Issue - London Rippers
- June 21 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Crushers-Rippers Rained Out - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rippers Game Cancelled - London Rippers
- Two More Pitchers Headed to Affiliated Teams - Windy City ThunderBolts
- RiverHawks Announce Field Training Day & Veterans Appreciation Night - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Fall Short in Extras against Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.