Vote for the Griffins Youth Foundation to Win a $45,000 RenovationJune 18, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Grand Rapids Griffins
Erhardt Construction is celebrating its 50th anniversary by recognizing and supporting the work of people and organizations such as the Griffins Youth Foundation that are serving others in our community. Together with its project partners, Erhardt is giving away a construction project and prizes totaling $50,000 to area non-profit organizations.
The Griffins Youth Foundation plans to construct a new 50' x 30' community room expansion on the northeast corner of Griff's IceHouse's East Rink, to enable it to enhance its educational offerings for the more than 350 kids it serves. Additional hopes are to retrofit the hockey boards in the northeast corner of the West Rink with new doors to permit easier ice access by members of the Grand Rapids Sled Wings, a sled hockey team comprised of physically challenged kids and teens that is sponsored in part by the foundation.
Members of the public can vote for the Griffins Youth Foundation's project once per day through July 13 at erhardtcc.com/community/vote.php . The top five finalists from this first round will advance to a second round of public voting that will take place from July 23-Aug. 17.
Winning non-profit organizations of the Building Our Community contest will receive:
- Grand Prize: $45,000 toward a construction or renovation project
- First Runner Up: $2,000 cash donation
- Second Runner Up: $1,500 cash donation
- Third Runner Up: $1,000 cash donation
- Fourth Runner Up: $1,000 cash donation
Established in 1995, the Griffins Youth Foundation promotes academic excellence, community involvement and healthy lifestyles among the youth of West Michigan, enhancing their lives through hockey and ice-related sports.
The foundation's educational programming includes mandatory weekly homework assignments; books and computers that provide enriching activities during downtimes in game-filled Saturdays; partnerships with organizations such as John Ball Zoo; and trips to local colleges for older kids to help them set goals and a course for their future.
Space at Griff's IceHouse for this programming is extremely limited when all kids and parents are present for games and practices, forcing activities into a small concourse area and hampering the foundation's ability to provide, enhance and expand its educational offerings. The community room expansion will allow the foundation to serve more kids at any given time and provide it the space needed to offer tutoring, SAT-prep classes and other activities. When the foundation is not using the room, it will be available for use by other individuals and groups from our community who use this public facility.
For more information about the Griffins Youth Foundation, please visit griffinskids.org .
American Hockey League Stories from June 18, 2012
- Vote for the Griffins Youth Foundation to Win a $45,000 Renovation - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceCaps Announce Six Home Dates - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals to Hold Equipment Sale Saturday, June 23 - Norfolk Admirals
- Worcester Sharks Home Opener Slated for October 20, 2012 - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Floor Hockey Caravan Visits Two Locations this Week - Oklahoma City Barons
- Blackhawks Re-Sign Bollig, Hutton and Smith - Rockford IceHogs
- Albany Devils Release Six Home Dates for 2012-13 Season - Albany Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.