Tigers Announce 2012 Opening Day RosterJune 18, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Connecticut Tigers
The Tigers third season at Dodd Stadium begins on Wednesday, June 20 against the Lowell Spinners, the NYPL affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, at 7:05 p.m. with fireworks after the game!
The pitching staff features 2011 returnee RHP Montreal Robertson, who will make the start tonight in Lowell. Robertson spent the majority of 2011 with the GCL Tigers where was 3-2 with a 2.73 ERA in 24 appearances and made two bullpen appearances with the Connecticut Tigers at the end of the 2011 season. RHP Endrys Briceno and RHP Edgar De La Rosa have starting experience with the GCL Tigers last year and will join Gillies in the rotation.
For the position players, Yale product and 37th round draft pick Charlie Neil will start his pro career in Norwich. IF Edgar Corcino returns to Norwich after playing six games with the Tigers last season. 2012 draft picks Jordan Dean (Central Michigan, 15th round); and Jared Reaves (University of Alabama, 25th round); round out the infield.
In the outfield, Edwin Gomez returns from last season. Patrick Smith and highly touted 18-year old Danry Vasquez will see significant time for second-year manager Andrew Graham.
The Connecticut Tigers are the Class-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers and play in the New York-Penn League. The Tigers saw a 23% increase in attendance in 2011, (the 4th highest in Minor League Baseball), and are entering their 3rd season at Dodd Stadium. Tickets are now on sale! The Box Office is open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. In addition, tickets can be purchased over the phone at (860) 887-7962. For more information go online to cttigers.com.
New York-Penn League Stories from June 18, 2012
- Miscues Mark Spikes' 6-2 Loss to Crosscutters in Season Opener - State College Spikes
- IronBirds Fall to Hudson Valley in Opener - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Vermont Falls 10-2 To Tri-City In Season Opener Monday At Centennial - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Cutters take advantage of Sloppy Spikes; Win 6-2 - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Romero's two homeruns lead Scrappers to Opening Day win - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Spinners Take Season-Opener with a 2-1 Win - Connecticut Tigers
- Tigers Announce 2012 Opening Day Roster - Connecticut Tigers
- Opening Day - Post-Game Fireworks Tonight - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes Home Opener Set for Tuesday Night - State College Spikes
- Scrappers Homestand #1 - June 20-21 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.