Hill's 2-Run Homer Gives Bandits Another Walkoff WinJune 17, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Quad Cities River Bandits
After River Bandits second baseman Luis Mateo drew a leadoff walk in the ninth against right-hander Chad Pierce (1-1), Hill twice failed to put down a sacrifice bunt. He fouled off two more pitches before hitting a 0-2 breaking pitch to the berm beyond the left-field fence for his fourth home run of the season - his first against right-handed pitching - and the River Bandits' first walk-off home run this season. It was the River Bandits' third walk-off win in their last four games and third straight walk-off victory against the Timber Rattlers (44-25).
River Bandits right-hander Ethan Cole (2-0) struck out two batters in a perfect ninth inning. Quad Cities (35-34) got a solid start from left-hander Kyle Hald, who went five innings, allowed an earned run on four hits and struck out two batters without a single walk. Right-hander Willy Paulino entered with a 2-1 lead to start the sixth inning and gave up a game-tying double to Wisconsin left fielder Jason Rogers, who was stranded at third base to end the sixth. Paulino matched season highs with three innings and five strikeouts while keeping the game tied, 2-2.
Pierce started the sixth inning for Wisconsin and struck out four batters while only allowing an infield single through the sixth, seventh and eighth innings. Right-hander David Goforth pitched the first five innings and allowed two runs on six hits and two walks while striking out four in a no-decision.
The River Bandits broke a scoreless tie in the fourth inning on Mateo's RBI single to drive in right fielder Anthony Garcia, who drew a leadoff walk. Wisconsin tied the game on a fifth-inning solo home run by center fielder John Dishon. Quad Cities designated hitter Colin Walsh was 2-for-4 with the go-ahead RBI single in the fifth inning to give the River Bandits another brief lead.
Quad Cities finished the first half tied for third place in the Western Division with the Peoria Chiefs (35-34), who the River Bandits will visit for three games to open the second half, beginning Friday night at 7 p.m. at Peoria. The third-place finish is the River Bandits' lowest since a fifth-place finish in the second half of 2009. Quad Cities has a winning record for a fifth straight half.
Three River Bandits - Mateo, Walsh and right-handed pitcher Heath Wyatt - will be on the Western Division roster at the Midwest League All-Star Game Tuesday at 6 p.m. in Geneva, Ill. Kane County is hosting the game at Fifth Third Bank Ballpark.
UP NEXT: Hacksaw Jim Duggan will be at Modern Woodmen Park for Pro Wrestling Night with the River Bandits Thursday, June 28, when the River Bandits host the Cedar Rapids Kernels at 7 p.m. Single-game tickets are on sale at the River Bandits box office at Modern Woodmen Park, by phone at (563) 3-BANDIT and online at www.riverbandits.com. Season ticket and mini-plan packages start at just seven games and begin at less than $50. Call a River Bandits account representative today to choose your seats and get the details of our various mini-plan packages.
Midwest League Stories from June 17, 2012
- Kernels Sweep Kane County, 5-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hill's 2-Run Homer Gives Bandits Another Walkoff Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Quad Cities cracks walkoff homer to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Silver Hawks Drop First-Half Finale - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Loons Drop Midseason Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Take Series - Beloit Snappers
- Lugnuts close out historic half with 9-2 rout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fort Wayne Ends First Half with 9-3 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Finish First Half by Sweeping TinCaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Half 35-34 with 10-5 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Swept to End First Half - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Close out First Half with 5-3 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Keith Castillo Added to Hot Rods Roster - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Errors Cost Captains First Half Finale - Lake County Captains
- Kernels win third in a row, 7-5, over Kane County - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.