Silver Hawks Drop First-Half FinaleJune 17, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
With the game tied 3-3 in the 14th inning, Lance Durham scored on a two-out throwing error from Ryan Court. Warwick Saupold (2-1) notched the win in relief, striking out two over 1.2 scoreless innings. Ramon Lebron struck out Gerson Montilla to end the game and notched his first save. Keith Hessler (0-1) took his first loss, allowing an unearned run in the 14th inning.
With 35 first-half wins, the Silver Hawks finished with their highest first-half win total since 2005.
Chris Ellison went 3-for-6 with two RBIs for South Bend, while Gerson Montilla and Ryan Court each tallied two hits for the Silver Hawks.
The Whitecaps jumped out to a 3-1 seventh-inning lead with a solo home run from Jason King in the second inning and a two-run long ball from Gabriel Purroy in the seventh.
Ellison singled in a run in the last half of the seventh inning to pull the Silver Hawks to within a run. Trailing 3-2 entering the ninth inning, the Silver Hawks rallied to tie the game. Ryan Court began the inning with a single and reached second on a throwing error from Aaron Westlake. Moments later, Ellison stroked a sacrifice fly to tie the game.
Jesse Darrah started the game for South Bend and got a no decision, allowing three earned runs on six hits over seven innings. Willy Paredes (2.0), Jake Barrett (1.0) and Seth Simmons (3.0) merged to throw six scoreless innings out of the Silver Hawks bullpen.
The Silver Hawks left 12 men on base.
The Silver Hawks played 10 extra-inning games in the first half, the highest total in the Midwest League.
The Silver Hawks return to action after the All-Star break (June 18-21) on Friday, June 22, against the West Michigan Whitecaps at Fifth-Third Ballpark in Comstock Park, Mich. First pitch is slated for 7:00 p.m. EST. The Silver Hawks play nine of their first 12 second-half games at home. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com .
Midwest League Stories from June 17, 2012
- Kernels Sweep Kane County, 5-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hill's 2-Run Homer Gives Bandits Another Walkoff Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Quad Cities cracks walkoff homer to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Silver Hawks Drop First-Half Finale - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Loons Drop Midseason Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Take Series - Beloit Snappers
- Lugnuts close out historic half with 9-2 rout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fort Wayne Ends First Half with 9-3 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Finish First Half by Sweeping TinCaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Half 35-34 with 10-5 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Swept to End First Half - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Close out First Half with 5-3 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Keith Castillo Added to Hot Rods Roster - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Errors Cost Captains First Half Finale - Lake County Captains
- Kernels win third in a row, 7-5, over Kane County - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.