Schafer and Sounds Sink Storm ChasersApril 30, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) - Omaha Storm Chasers
Roman Colon worked scoreless relief in the seventh and eighth innings behind Omaha starter Mike Montgomery and was followed to the hill by Jeremy Jeffress, who had given up the game-winning home run on Friday afternoon at Memphis in his last outing.
The right-hander walked the lead off man, who was then forced at second on a failed bunt attempt by Corey Patterson. Martin Maldonado followed with a single to advance Patterson to second base before Edwin Maysonet fanned for the second out. Schafer then drove the sixth offering he saw over the head of centerfielder Jason Bourgeois to deliver Patterson and hand the Sounds their first win in five tries against the Chasers this season.
Schafer led off the bottom of the first with a single and scored when Brooks Conrad smacked a home run, his second against the Storm Chasers this season, to give the Sounds the early 2-0 edge. Montgomery settled down to retire the next nine hitters before allowing a two-out RBI single to Taylor Green in the fifth that extended the hosts advantage to 3-0.
Nashville starter Mark Rogers blanked the Storm Chasers on three singles through the first five frames before Clint Robinson belted a solo home run with one out in the sixth to get the visitors on the board. Max Ramirez followed with a base hit and that spelled the end of the line for the Nashville right-hander, who had never lasted more than three innings in his first three career starts against Omaha.
Victor Garate took over and got two ground outs to end the threat as Rogers was charged with a lone run on five hits while walking three and striking out a pair over 5 1/3 innings. Bourgeois, in his first game and fourth at-bat with Omaha, laced a two-run homer off Garate in the seventh to even the game at three.
Montgomery also did not factor into the decision after yielding three runs on seven hits and a walk over six innings, while striking out three.
The series continues Tuesday night with Omaha left-hander Will Smith taking the mound against Nashville right-hander Wily Peralta. Coverage of the game gets underway at 6:45 pm and can be heard locally on AM 1180 and online at omahastormchasers.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 30, 2012
- Craig Clubs Redbirds Past Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Fireworks, Cinco De Mayo Fiesta Highlight Homestand Events - Tucson Padres
- Craig Crushes Cubs - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Shutout RedHawks, 5-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Schafer and Sounds Sink Storm Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Lambin Leads Zephyrs to 5-3 Win in Round Rock - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Schafer Provides Game-Winning Hit in Sounds' 4-3 Win over Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Express Drop Opener against New Orleans 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RH Berlind Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. New Orleans Zephyrs (Miami - Round Rock Express
- Wheeler Named PCL Player of the Week - Reno Aces
- Wheeler And Hembree Top Stars For Week - PCL
- Storm Chasers Award Two Local High School Students with Scholarships - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Home for Four Games Starting Friday, May 4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.