Wilmington Rocks Daisuke, Downs Red Sox 7-2April 23, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Salem Red Sox
Whit Merrifield led off the first with a solo shot and Geulin Beltre launched a solo blast to begin the second for Wilmington, who entered the game with only two homers as a team through their first 15 games. In the top of the eighth, Brett Eibner crushed the Blue Rocks' third bomb of the day, another leadoff dinger off Salem reliever Ryan Pressly. Cheslor Cuthbert finished with four hits and three RBI, driving in Merrifield three different times. Merrifield scored four runs in the game.
Salem put men on base in each of the first five innings against Wilmington starter Jason Adam, but the Sox could not convert on any opportunity. Salem stranded the bases loaded in the second and Adam tossed five scoreless innings to earn his first victory of the season. In 22.2 innings pitched, Adam has surrendered just one earned run for an infinitesimal ERA of 0.40.
The Blue Rocks bullpen picked up right where Adam left off, with Sam Runion dealing two shutout frames and John Keck working a clean sheet in the eighth before the Sox finally scored with two outs already recorded in the ninth against Chase Boruff. Down to his final strike, Brandon Jacobs smashed a two-run double off the wall in left-center, breaking up Wilmington's shutout bid. But the victory still went the way of the Rocks, who improved to 8-8 while slipping the Sox to 7-8.
Jackie Bradley, Jr. and Shannon Wilkerson each reached base three times with two singles and a walk to lead Salem, while Cuthbert's four-for-five night and Merrifield's three-hit, four-run explosion paced Wilmington.
Xander Bogaerts drew a one-out walk in the eighth, but went 0-for-4, snapping his hitting streak at nine games. His consecutive games on base streak, however, extended to 12. He was on deck when Boruff struck out Travis Shaw to end the game.
The Sox and Rocks continue their four-game series on Tuesday, with Keith Couch slated to face Yordano Ventura. First pitch at LewisGale Field is scheduled for 7:05.
Carolina League Stories from April 23, 2012
- Mudcats Hold off Hillcats - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats Fall in First Meeting with Mudcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Wilmington Rocks Daisuke, Downs Red Sox 7-2 - Salem Red Sox
- Buckel Nearly Unhittable in 7-1 Romp - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Arms Stifle Potomac - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wilmington Rocks Matsuzaka in 7-2 Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Dash Silence Potomac Bats in 4-1 Win - Potomac Nationals
- Buckel, Pelicans Shut Down Keys - Frederick Keys
- Mudcats Announce Roster Changes - Carolina Mudcats
- Ronnie Welty Named Player of the Week - Frederick Keys
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Mudcats Game Notes - April 23 - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats' Autism Awareness Night to Piece Together Support - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.