Cubs Recall Pitcher Randy Wells from IowaApril 22, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) - Iowa Cubs Press Release
Wells is scheduled to start for the Cubs in their series finale against the Cincinnati Reds this afternoon at Wrigley Field. The 29-year-old was 1-0 with a 9.42 ERA in three starts with Iowa this season.
Outfielder Ty Wright and right-handed pitcher Frank Batista will join Iowa from Double-A Tennessee, when the club hosts the Memphis Redbirds in game two of a four-game series this afternoon.
Wright began the season on the Iowa Opening Day roster, hitting .258 (8-for-31) with two RBI in nine games before being assigned to Tennessee on April 16. In five games with the Smokies, Wright hit .429 (6-for-14) with one homer and four RBI.
Batista posted no record, five saves and a 0.00 ERA in 6.2 IP over six relief appearances with the Smokies this season. The 22-year-old was both a mid-season and post-season Florida State League (FSL) All-Star with Single-A Daytona last season. He led the FSL in appearances (51), games finished (48), a .226 opponent's batting average and was second with 26 saves.
Left-handed pitcher Ryan Rowland-Smith was placed on the disabled list with a sore back effective April 19. The Australian import has no record with a 3.38 ERA in four relief outings at Iowa.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2012
- Bees Whip Pads, 16-1 - Tucson Padres
- Isotopes Take Sunday Marathon, 11-10 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Outlast 'Hawks 11-10 in 14 Innings for Sixth Straight Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Fall To Fresno, 10-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Carter's Three-Homer Day Lifts Cats to 12-4 Win over Reno - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Top Aces, 12-4 - Reno Aces
- Round Rock's Hitting Overpowers Zephyrs 10-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Storm Chasers Squeeze Past the Sounds on Sunday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Powers Past New Orleans 10-0 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' Losing Skid Hits Seven with 2-1 Loss in Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Stellar Rusin Lifts Iowa to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Recall Pitcher Randy Wells from Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Tucson win over Salt Lake - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers' Series Opener Foiled By Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Walk to London' Arrives in Tacoma - Tacoma Rainiers
- Storm Chasers Defeat the Sounds, 6-5, in 13 Innings - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bullpen Struggles in Loss to Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Lose Extra-Inning Contest in Omaha, 6-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Parker, Bullpen Combine for Two-Hitter; River Cats Beat Aces, 6-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Blanked by River Cats, 6-0 - Reno Aces
- 'Topes Win Fifth Straight with 6-1 Victory Over RedHawks - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.