Thornburg Flirts with Perfect Game in Stars VictoryApril 17, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Huntsville Stars
Thornburg cruised through the first seven innings, fanning a total of 11 batters, a career high. He was tagged with one earned run after Burgess scored on a Jonathan Mota double off reliever Rob Wooten.
The Stars offense provided more than enough cushion to give Thornburg some breathing room. Josh Prince led off the second inning with a base hit. He was driven home on a RBI-double from Brock Kjeldgaard.
Huntsville added on two more runs in the fifth and seventh on two two-run shots from Scooter Gennett. The speedy second baseman had a strong outing as well, ending the night with three hits in four at-bats. He knocked in four of the Stars five runs. He also extended his hit-streak to eight games.
The Smokies got four hits and their two runs in the eighth. Wooten gave up one earned in his two-thirds inning of work.
In a night close to perfection, reliever Josh Stinson came in the game to close out a perfect ninth inning.
Tennessee starter Trey McNutt got tagged with the loss, going four innings, giving up one run on four hits. He walked one and struck out three. Reliever Jeff Antigua gave up both home runs to Gennett, pitching just two and a third innings, giving up five hits.
The Stars will look to win their third straight game at "The Joe" by sending RHP Evan Anundsen to the mound (0-0, 2.57 ERA) to face off against Smokies RHP Dallas Beeler (0-0, 1.64 ERA). First pitch is slated for 6:43 PM.
It's a Dew for Tuesday tomorrow night at the stadium. Two Mountain Dew bottle caps will get you $2 parking and a $2 ticket. Once inside the gates, select 16-ounce draft beers, 20-ounce Pepsi fountain products, Johnsonville hot dogs, popcorn and peanuts will be just $2! Gates open at 6. For more information, visit www.huntsvillestars.com or call (256) 882-2562.
Southern League Stories from April 17, 2012
- Rain Cancels Tuesday Game, Doubleheader Now Set for Wednesday - Mobile BayBears
- M-Braves Shutout by Generals 7-0 - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Shutout Braves 7-0, Win Second Straight - Jackson Generals
- Barons Top Lookouts, 4-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Smokies and Stars Postponed by Rain Tuesday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Rained out Tuesday; Twinbill Wednesday - Montgomery Biscuits
- Stars Game Postponed - Huntsville Stars
- Ozzie Chavez Released from the Organization - Mississippi Braves
- Dominguez Promoted To New Orleans; Mendoza Promoted To Jax - Jacksonville Suns
- BayBears Drop Game After Late Comeback - Mobile BayBears
- Thornburg Flirts with Perfect Game in Stars Victory - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.