Three Stampede Players Selected for USHL/NHL Top Prospects GameJanuary 5, 2012 - United States Hockey League (USHL) Sioux Falls Stampede
The game, which is the first of its kind for the USHL, will showcase many of the top USHL players eligible for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
A total of 30 players selected are in their first year of eligibility for the NHL Entry Draft. Seven of the players are draft-eligible for the second time this year. In addition, the USHL will showcase three players who are eligible to be drafted by NHL teams in 2013.
The selection process for the players was completed in cooperation with USHL General Managers, NHL scouts and decision makers, and NHL Central Scouting.
"We're proud to be able to provide such a great night and stage for some of our young stars," said USHL President and Commissioner Skip Prince. "It's also a credit not just to the players, but the education-based American development model we celebrate in the USHL - that is, that you can remain NCAA-eligible, play Division I college hockey, and fulfill the dream of playing in the National Hockey League."
Selman is in his second season in the USHL and his first with the Stampede. The Upper Saddle River, New Jersey native is tied for the Stampede lead in scoring with 13 points. His 10 assists are a team high. Selman spent last season with the Des Moines Buccaneers, recording 22 points (8g, 14a) in 52 games. He is committed to the University of Michigan.
Young is in second year with the Stampede and is tied with Selman with 13 points (6g, 7a). A native of South St. Paul, Minnesota, Young registered 32 points (11g, 21a) and was a +14 in 54 games last season with Sioux Falls. Young is already committed to the University of Minnesota-Duluth.
Williams is also in his second season with Stampede. He ranks fourth amongst USHL goaltenders with a 2.44 GAA. He is 6-8-1 on the year and has a .922 save percentage, third best in the USHL. Williams, a native of Fairbanks, Alaska, recorded 20 wins, a 2.59 GAA and a .909 save percentage last year with the Herd. The Minnesota State University, Mankato recruit went 4-1 with a 2.21 GAA and a .924 save percentage in the playoffs while leading the Herd to the Western Conference Finals.
Fourteen USHL teams will have at least one player represented in the contest. Team USA declined to participate in the game due to academic commitments for its players during the week of the event. All but five of the 40 players currently have commitments to play collegiate hockey following their USHL careers.
The 40 USHL/NHL Top Prospects will now be divided into two teams, the makeup of which will be announced at a later date.
The 2012 NHL Entry Draft takes place on June 22-23 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Last year, a total of 37 players with USHL experience - 28 from the 2010-11 season and nine USHL alumni - were selected by NHL teams in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
United States Hockey League Stories from January 5, 2012
- Cangelosi's Clutch Shorty Gives New Life, Phantoms Win 4-3 in Shootout - Youngstown Phantoms
- Wild Finish Goes Youngstown's Way - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Four Gamblers Selected to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Green Bay Gamblers
- Three Stampede Players Selected for USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Two Bucs Named to USHL Top Prospects Event - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Gamblers Weekly - Green Bay Gamblers
- Lancers Goaltender Lyon Named to 2012 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Omaha Lancers
- Phantoms' Bradley, Cangelosi and Zehnal Named to USHL/NHL Prospect Game Roster - Youngstown Phantoms
- Four Fighting Saints Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Four Lumberjacks Chosen for Top Prospects Game - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Four Fargo Force Players Selected to the 2012 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Fargo Force
- Rosters Set for 2012 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - USHL
- Five Hawks to Appear in Prospects Showcase - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Ice Home Saturday - Indiana Ice
- Black Hawks Fans Can Collect a Little History - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Tri-City Storm News & Notes - Week 15 - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.