Rivermen Down Aeros in ShootoutDecember 11, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Peoria Rivermen
It was the first time these two met since Houston beat Peoria April 19, in Peoria, a game in which the Aeros advanced past the Rivermen in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs.
Hensick opened the scoring just 19 seconds into Peoria's first power play of the game. Hensick's backhand from Brett Sterling and Danny Syvret at the 6:39 mark of the first was his ninth goal of the year and his 32nd point.
Less than two minutes later Houston's Matt Kassian notched his first of the year from Mike McKenzie to even the score at 1-1.
The Aeros took their first lead of the game with 6:45 remaining in the middle frame. Warren Peters broke up ice with McKenzie, and fired a shot through the legs of Bishop for his seventh of the year.
Evgeny Grachev found the back of the net late in the second frame while on the man advantage, but his first goal in a Rivermen sweater was waived off due to incidental contact with Aeros goalkeeper Darcy Kuemper. Derek Nesbitt's shot off of a Hensick faceoff win at the 5:02 mark of the final frame officially tied the game at two.
The Rivermen had a multiple chances in the overtime, but Kuemper stopped the only four shots of the extra period to push the game into a shootout.
After five rounds and goals from Nesbitt and Hensick for Peoria and Justin Fontaine and Jeff Taffe for Houston, McRae lifted a backhand into the roof of the net to give the Rivermen the advantage. Bishop stoned Chad Rau to finish off his 11th victory of the season.
Peoria improved to 3-1 in shootouts this season while the Aeros dropped to 0-6.
The Rivermen take on division-rival Rockford for the eighth time this season on Friday at 7:05 p.m. The game can be heard in Peoria on CD Country 107.9 or by visiting www.rivermen.net.
American Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2011
- Aeros Drop One to Peoria in Shootout - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Down Aeros in Shootout - Peoria Rivermen
- Admirals Get by Hogs 5-4 - Milwaukee Admirals
- I Am Legein - Manchester Monarchs
- Rockford Snags a Point in Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Power Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Four-Goal First Helps Bears Blitz Admirals - Hershey Bears
- Markstrom Boosts Rampage to 4-1 Victory Over Checkers - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Drop 3-1 Decision to Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- P-Bruins Defeat Whale 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Skate Past Griffins, 3-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Stymied in San Antonio - Charlotte Checkers
- Whale Tipped by Bruins - Connecticut Whale
- Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Comeback Beats Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Amerks Fall to Hamilton by 2-1 Score - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Dominate Sound Tigers 5-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Overtake Americans for 2-1 Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons Power Past Sound Tigers 5-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks WINgels Again in St. John's - Worcester Sharks
- AHL Announces Willsie Suspension - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros Game Day, December 11: Aeros Vs. Peoria - Houston Aeros
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- 'Canes Recall Drayson Bowman from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Flames Announce a Trio of Player Moves - Abbotsford Heat
- P-Bruins Sign Rookie Blue Liner - Providence Bruins
- Abbotsford Defeats Monsters to Sweep Season Series on Saturday - Lake Erie Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.