Flames Prospects Fall to Late Canucks RallySeptember 12, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Abbotsford Heat
Joni Ortio was shown a vote of confidence by the coaching staff starting less than 24 hours after a shaky performance in the tournament opener. After allowing six goals against the Sharks Prospects on Sunday, Ortio bounced back in a big way, stopping 38 of 42 shots on the night, including a breakaway stop late in the contest that preserved a Flames lead. Heat Head Coach Troy Ward on his starting keeper "Ortio performed better, the defense let him down in moments of truth".
19-year-old Patrick Holland scored twice in the loss. Both were set-up by Max Reinhart while 2011 first round pick Sven Baertschi also factored in on the Holland goals, as he continues to impress at the tournament. In the media scrum Holland commented "they (the coaches) put me out there with a great line, it was easy to play". Ward noted "Baertschi and Holland have had their coming out parties these two games".
Michael Ferland thought he had the winner at 16:20 of the third as he whacked a mid-air pass from Dustin Sylvester into the back of the net to give the Flames a lead in the final minutes.
Despite 47 shots, and a late lead, the Flames will be looking for their first win of the tournament on Wednesday when they face the Edmonton Oilers in a battle of Alberta Young Stars-style.
American Hockey League Stories from September 12, 2011
- Flames Prospects Fall to Late Canucks Rally - Abbotsford Heat
- NAHL Preview, New Zealand Ice Hockey League on Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Blues Training Camp Opens Friday - Peoria Rivermen
- Pirates Announce Training Camp Schedule at the Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland Pirates
- From the Office to the Ice - Providence Bruins
- Monarchs to Take on Pirates in Exhibition Contest - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Meet Pirates for Preseason Outing - Albany Devils
- Scotiabank Place to Host Defending Calder Cup-Champion Binghamton Senators Sunday, November 13 - Binghamton Senators
- 2011 Young Stars Game Review - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.