Sounders FC Signs Forward Lamar Neagle, Midfielder ServandoMarch 2, 2011 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Seattle Sounders FC Press Release
A Tacoma native, Neagle, 23, re-joins Sounders FC after successful stints in America and abroad during 2010. He scored 12 goals in 19 regular season matches for the Charleston Battery to earn Golden Boot and MVP honors in USL-2, the third tier of U.S. professional soccer. The Battery went on to win the 2010 USL-2 championship.
Following the season Neagle was signed by Finland's IFK Mariehamn, where he played in five leagues matches last fall scoring two goals. He returns to Seattle as a free agent.
Neagle is joining Sounders FC for the second time. He signed on June 10, 2009 but was limited to action in friendlies versus Chelsea and Barcelona. He was waived after the season and spent the 2010 preseason in training as an invitee. Neagle was a three-time Mountain Pacific Sports Federation first team selection while at UNLV. He earlier played for Federal Way's Thomas Jefferson High School.
"This is where I want to be," said Neagle. "From the start, I knew I needed more games to get better, and now I'm ready to make a difference. The biggest difference is my confidence and feeling comfortable on the field, and confidence comes from playing games and playing well."
"We welcome back Lamar," said head coach Sigi Schmid. "The year away was very beneficial to him. He's a versatile player who can play up front as well as wide midfield."
Carrasco, 22, was selected by Seattle with the 27th pick overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft. A defensive midfielder, Carrasco has played in all eight preseason games, starting three. He scored the winning goal in last Saturday's 1-0 win over the Chicago Fire in Bradenton, Fla.
Carrasco was born in San Diego but grew up in Tijuana, Mexico and holds dual citizenship. He played all four years at the University of California and was a three-time All-Pac-10 selection, earning first team honors in 2010. Carrasco finished his collegiate career by starting all 20 games last fall for the Bears and scoring seven goals along with three assists.
"I'm very happy to officially become a part the Sounders, and I'm excited to get this season started," said Carrasco. "We've all been working extremely hard and we've established a great foundation during this preseason, and I know this is going to be a successful season."
"We are excited to have Servando joining our team," said Schmid. "He's a central midfielder with good defensive tendencies who help us in our quest this year."
Sounders FC opens the 2011 MLS season on Tuesday, March 15 by hosting the L.A. Galaxy on the Xbox Pitch at Qwest Field. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. PT.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 2, 2011
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Single-Game Tickets on Sale Starting Today - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Jay Demerit Named Whitecaps FC Captain - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chivas USA Takes the Bus to Promote the Importance of Reading - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls Launch RBNY Membership - New York Red Bulls
- Sebastien Le Toux Agrees to Multi-Year Marketing Deal with Bimbo - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Signs Forward Lamar Neagle, Midfielder Servando - Seattle Sounders FC
- Philadelphia Union Top Hersonissos F.C. 5-0 - Philadelphia Union
- Details Set for D.C. United-Philadelphia Union U.S. Open Cup Play-In Game - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Sign Croatian Midfielder Marko Maric - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Announce Details for U.S. Open Cup Play-In Game - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Posts 4-1 Win Over Columbus, Advances To Champions League Semifinals - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.