B-Sens Edge Bears 2-1January 16, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Binghamton Senators
The game marked Barry Brust's first start between the pipes since a Jan. 7 victory over the Syracuse Crunch. Showing little sign of rust, he would go on to make 29 saves on 30 shots, helping lead the B-Sens to a narrow 2-1 win.
Just under two minutes into the game, Andrew Sweetland, newly signed to a professional try-out contract earlier in the day, poked the puck past Bears net minder Braden Holtby to give the B-Sens an early 1-0 lead.
Hershey answered at 12:48 as Boyd Kane shrugged off the coverage in the B-Sens zone, beating a screened Brust glove side for the equalizer.
Following a scoreless second period, Ryan Keller put the B-Sens back on top as he scored a power play marker at 7:37 of the third, beating Holtby stick-side off a cross-ice feed from Kaspars Daugavins.
The Bears found themselves with a six-on-four advantage in the closing 70 seconds of the game as a result of a roughing minor, in addition to a ten minute misconduct being assessed to Brust, who took exception to some shoving around the B-Sens' crease and went after Kane. Binghamton held on though, earning the win against a Bears team they had gone 1-4-0-0 against this season.
The B-Sens travel to the Times Union Center in Albany on Wednesday, Jan. 19 to take on the Devils at 7 p.m. Fans can listen live on 680 WINR-AM or 1430 WENE-AM beginning 30 minutes before game time for Countdown to Faceoff with Grady Whittenburg, the voice of the B-Sens.
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2011
- Whale Tops AHL's Best 6-3 - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens Edge Bears 2-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Second-Period Charge Leads Admirals Over Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Ground Aeros, 3-2 in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Scared Away by Monsters in 6-4 Loss; Drop Fourth Straight - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Take Over Second Place with 4-2 Victory at Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Senators Slide Past Bears 2-1 Sunday - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Take Sole Possession of Third Place with Shootout Point - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Bruins Assign Bartkowski to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Halt Rampage, 5-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Iced by Adirondack, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Offense Lights it Up with Season-High 5 Goals - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Fire 45 Shots in 2-0 Loss in Providence - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Sink Sharks 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Halsichuk, Thuresson Switch Spots - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Fall in Shootout 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Falcons Lose to Pirates 4-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Out-Distance Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Recall Maclean from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Blues Return Ian Cole to Peoria - Peoria Rivermen
- Netminder Pasquale Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Preview: Aeros, Griffins Collide at 4 P.M. - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Sign Forward Andrew Sweetland - Binghamton Senators
- Game Night: Amerks, Monsters Square off Again Tonight at Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Senators Recall Goaltender Mike Brodeur from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.