New Month, Same Result against PeoriaMay 13, 2010 - Midwest League (MWL) Burlington Bees
Bees righty Matt Mitchell (L, 1-4) recorded his second quality start in his last four outings, allowing three earned runs on eight hits with four strikeouts in six innings. His opposition, Trey McNutt (W, 2-0) of Peoria, one-upped him with six shutout frames and seven strikeouts to notch his first victory since April 16.
Peoria pushed across single tallies in the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings to take a 3-0 lead. D.J. Fitzgerald pushed an RBI infield single to open the scoring, then a mental lapse by Wil Myers in the fifth helped give the Chiefs a 2-0 lead.
With two outs and Francisco Guzman on second, Logan Watkins struck out on a pitch in the dirt. Instead of throwing to first to end the inning, Myers elected to attempt to catch Guzman stealing third. Both runners were safe, and Matt Cerda singled one batter later to double the Peoria advantage. Justin Bour's leadoff homer in the sixth made it 3-0.
Cerda also played a pivotal role in the Chiefs' four-run ninth inning, belting a three-run home run off of Bees righty Michael Lehmann to put the game out of reach.
The Bees scored in the bottom of the ninth on a Juan Graterol RBI single with two outs. Graterol finished with two hits, as did Joey Lewis.
The Bees and Chiefs square off Friday night on a Big Fun Friday presented by Budweiser. Enjoy happy hour specials prior to the game, and pick up your tickets for Sunday's Community Basket Day festivities while they remain. If you cannot make it to Community Field, join Nick Devlin on News Radio 1490 KBUR for the Casebine Community Credit Union Pregame Show at 6:10 with the game to follow at 6:30.
Midwest League Stories from May 13, 2010
- Hot Rods Drop Heartbreaker, 5-4, in 13 Innings - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Downs the Loons, 5-4 - Great Lakes Loons
- New Month, Same Result against Peoria - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Rally Falls Short, 10-7 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Shut Out Snappers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Open Road Trip with 7-1 Win in Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Win on the Road, 5-4 at Great Lakes - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Fall to Bandits in Return Home - Kane County Cougars
- Whitecaps Shut out Hawks 7-0 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Kernels and LumberKings postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings, Kernels Postponed - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods to Raise Money for Warren County Parks - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rams Rejoins Snappers from Double A - Beloit Snappers
- Lima Senior Returns to Play at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Franklin-Monroe Returns to Play at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Elida Returns to Play at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Arcanum Returns To Play At Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Game Day For Thursday May 13th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.