Whitecaps Shut out Hawks 7-0May 13, 2010 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
The scoreless tie was broken in the bottom of the fourth when West Michigan touched up South Bend starter Chase Anderson (LP, 2-4) for four runs. With one out, Jordan Lennerton reached when Alberto Diaz dropped his fly ball for an error and that opened the flood gates. Avisail Garcia singled and Alexis Espinoza followed with a RBI single for the 1-0 lead.
West Michigan continued the attack with a walk to Mike Gosse, loading the bases. Eric Roof then doubled to deep right-center field, driving in all three runners to put the Whitecaps ahead 4-0.
Those were the only runs allowed by Anderson on the night, as he turned in 6.0 innings in the starting role.
In the meantime, West Michigan starter Giovanni Soto (WP, 2-3) was cruising along. Soto went 6.1 innings, allowed only four hits while striking out eight and walking three.
The Whitecaps added three more runs in the bottom of the eighth. Garcia and Espinoza had singles to start the inning against Keny Sosa (ND). After getting a fly out, Sosa left the game when he injured his leg trying to back up home plate.
Chris Odegaard (ND) came in from the bullpen, threw a wild pitch to score one run, then allowed a RBI triple to Roof and a RBI single to Hernan Perez for the 7-0 lead. Roof finished the game with four RBIs and Perez had three hits to pace the West Michigan attack.
South Bend was held to just five singles on the night, reaching the midway point of the first half with a 16-19 record.
West Michigan relievers Jose Ortega (ND) and Melvin Mercedes (ND) combined to blank the Hawks for the final 2.2 innings to complete the shutout.
The series continues with game two Friday evening at 6:35 PM. Greater Grand Rapids native LHP Dan Taylor (2-2, 4.22 ERA) starts for South Bend against his hometown team while West Michigan counters with RHP Ramon Lebron (4-1, 2.70 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:15 PM Eastern Time on 1620 ESPN Radio and online at www.silverhawks.com.
Midwest League Stories from May 13, 2010
- Hot Rods Drop Heartbreaker, 5-4, in 13 Innings - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Downs the Loons, 5-4 - Great Lakes Loons
- New Month, Same Result against Peoria - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Rally Falls Short, 10-7 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Shut Out Snappers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Open Road Trip with 7-1 Win in Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Win on the Road, 5-4 at Great Lakes - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Fall to Bandits in Return Home - Kane County Cougars
- Whitecaps Shut out Hawks 7-0 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Kernels and LumberKings postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings, Kernels Postponed - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods to Raise Money for Warren County Parks - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rams Rejoins Snappers from Double A - Beloit Snappers
- Lima Senior Returns to Play at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Franklin-Monroe Returns to Play at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Elida Returns to Play at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Arcanum Returns To Play At Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Game Day For Thursday May 13th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.