Revolution acquires R.I.'s Nico Colaluca from ColoradoMay 6, 2009 - Major League Soccer (MLS) New England Revolution
Colaluca is expected to join the Revolution later this week and will be available for selection for the team's next match on Saturday.
"We're pleased to bring Nico into the team," Revolution Vice President of Player Personnel Michael Burns said. "When we spoke with him earlier today, he was ecstatic to be coming home. We'll look forward to getting him into training and integrating him into the team.
"Rob has been a great team player for us, but we felt he would benefit from the opportunity with another team. We wish him the best and thank him for everything he's given to the Revolution in the last year and a half," Burns said.
Colaluca is in his third Major League Soccer season after the Rapids drafted him sixth overall in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of Virginia. He has made four MLS appearances in his career, all coming in his rookie season. In 2008, he started all nine of the Rapids' reserve team's games, scoring three goals. He is a former member of the U.S. youth national and Under-20 teams. He played his high school soccer at Providence's La Salle Academy.
Valentino was drafted the Revolution in the first round (13th overall) in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of San Francisco. He has yet to make an MLS appearance, although he did make four professional appearances as a rookie. He started all three of the Revs' matches in the U.S. Open Cup, and made a substitute appearance against Joe Public FC in the CONCACAF Champions League.
The Revolution (2-2-2, 8 pts.) return to MLS action on Saturday, May 9, when the club travels to face the rival Chicago Fire (2-0-5, 11 pts.) at Toyota Park at 8:30 p.m. TV38 will televise the game, while the WEEI Radio Network will also carry the game.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2009
- Kansas City Wizards Tie 1st Place D.C. United 1-1 Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Kenny Chesney to Play a Special Concert at Pizza Hut Park on May 17 - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC To Host Colorado In Next Open Cup Play-In - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Acquire Rob Valentino in Trade with New England - Colorado Rapids
- Revolution acquires R.I.'s Nico Colaluca from Colorado - New England Revolution
- Sundhage Names 21-Player U.S. Roster to Face Japan on May 20 at Pizza Hut Park - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Partner With Second Harvest Food Bank on May 30 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jaime Moreno earns MLS Goal of the Week honors - D.C. United
- Taylor "Kicks It" with LA Galaxy Star Landon Donovan - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo Alter El Capitan Tiebreaker Rules - FC Dallas
- Dynamo, FC Dallas announce changes to rules for El Capitán series - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution, Fire Battle Saturday - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.