MacPherson named POTWJune 24, 2008 - Arena Football League (1987-2008) (AFL I) Grand Rapids Rampage
With his team needing to win to move on to the playoffs for the first time since 2003, the Rampage quarterback passed for seven touchdowns and ran in three more to win the final Arena Football League Writers Association's Player of the Week Award for 2008, as Grand Rapids won on the road at New Orleans on Saturday night. It was just the second loss at home for the VooDoo, which was eliminated from the postseason.
The 86 points for Grand Rapids also marked the fifth-highest scoring output for any team in AFL history. The Rampage will travel to Phoenix to face Arizona on Monday.
It was the third time this season MacPherson won the award, one less than Dallas' Will Pettis, who won it twice.
MacPherson, who was 21-of-32 for 244 yards, put the game away by throwing three touchdown passes in the first 13 minutes of the fourth quarter.
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from June 24, 2008
- MacPherson named POTW - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Fountain named to all-rookie team - Utah Blaze
- San Jose Wideout Collects Award After Seven TD Receptions - San Jose SaberCats
- NFL Hall of Famer to be Honorary Coach at Desperados Practice - Dallas Desperados
- Samuels Named Ironman of the Week - Tampa Bay Storm
- Two Dragons Receive All-Rookie Honors - New York Dragons
- Rattlers O-Lineman Atlas Herrion Named to All-Rookie Team - Arizona Rattlers
- Rattlers to Broadcast All Playoff Games Live on 1060AM The Fan - Arizona Rattlers
- Rampage's Martin, McFadden Make AFL All-Rookie Team - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Rush Places Pair on AFL'S All-Rookie Team - Chicago Rush
- A Busy Off Day - Philadelphia Soul
- 2008 AFL All-Rookie Team - AFL I
- Soul's Hughes Named to 2008 AFL All-Rookie Team - AFL I
- San Jose' Santil, Philadelphia's Moten, Tampa Bay's Samuels Earns Week 17 Honors - AFL I
- Wild Card & Divisional Round Playoff Dates, Times & Networks - AFL I
- Russell Athletic Arena Football on ESPN Kicks Off Postseason Friday - AFL I
- Grow a "Soul Patch" and Save - Philadelphia Soul
- L.A. Avengers dismiss head coach Ed Hodgkiss - Los Angeles Avengers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.