Rush Places Pair on AFL'S All-Rookie TeamJune 24, 2008 - Arena Football League (1987-2008) (AFL I) Chicago Rush
"I could not be happier for Donovan and Beau," said Rush head coach Mike Hohensee. "Both have been important contributors to our success this season and we expect them to be impact players in the AFL for many years."
Morgan (6-2, 195, Louisiana-Lafayette) was Chicago's leading receiver this season and is one of the leading candidates for the league's Rookie of the Year award. He led all rookies in receptions (113) and receiving yards (1,300), while finishing second among rookies with 24 touchdowns.
Elliott (6-3, 320, Indiana (PA)) started 15 games for the Rush at center and was instrumental in helping solidify the Rush offensive line. With Elliott in the middle, the Rush surrendered just nine sacks in 16 games, after allowing a team-record 25 sacks in 2007.
Morgan and Elliott are the fifth and sixth players in Rush team history to be named to the AFL's All-Rookie team, joining Antonio Chatman (2002), Keith Gispert (2003), Etu Molden (2004) and Khreem Smith (2006).
After clinching the top seed in the American Conference playoffs with a 75-63 win Sunday over Dallas, the Central Division champion Rush (11-5) will enjoy a bye this week. The team will return to action next week when it hosts an AFL Divisional Round playoff game at 2 p.m. on Sunday, July 6.
Tickets for the game are available and may be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at (312) 559-1212, or by visiting the Ticketmaster Web site at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets also may be purchased in person at any Ticketmaster outlet or the Allstate Arena box office.
The 2008 AFL All-Rookie Team:
Position Player, Team
Quarterback D. Bryant, Kansas City
Fullback Odie Armstrong, Orlando
Offensive Lineman Atlas Herrion, Arizona
Center Beau Elliott, Chicago
Offensive Lineman Bobby Harris, Orlando
Wide Receiver Donovan Morgan, Chicago
Wide Receiver Tiger Jones, Georgia
Wide Receiver Chad Owens, Colorado
Defensive Lineman Farouk Adelekan, New York
Defensive Lineman Maurice Fountain, Utah
Defensive Lineman John Syptak, Colorado
Mack Linebacker Michael McFadden, Grand Rapids
Jack Linebacker Norman LeJeune, New Orleans
Defensive Back Levy Brown, New York
Defensive Back Ahmad Carroll, Orlando
Defensive Back Chris Martin, Grand Rapids
Kicker Connor Hughes, Philadelphia
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from June 24, 2008
- MacPherson named POTW - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Fountain named to all-rookie team - Utah Blaze
- San Jose Wideout Collects Award After Seven TD Receptions - San Jose SaberCats
- NFL Hall of Famer to be Honorary Coach at Desperados Practice - Dallas Desperados
- Samuels Named Ironman of the Week - Tampa Bay Storm
- Two Dragons Receive All-Rookie Honors - New York Dragons
- Rattlers O-Lineman Atlas Herrion Named to All-Rookie Team - Arizona Rattlers
- Rattlers to Broadcast All Playoff Games Live on 1060AM The Fan - Arizona Rattlers
- Rampage's Martin, McFadden Make AFL All-Rookie Team - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Rush Places Pair on AFL'S All-Rookie Team - Chicago Rush
- A Busy Off Day - Philadelphia Soul
- 2008 AFL All-Rookie Team - AFL I
- Soul's Hughes Named to 2008 AFL All-Rookie Team - AFL I
- San Jose' Santil, Philadelphia's Moten, Tampa Bay's Samuels Earns Week 17 Honors - AFL I
- Wild Card & Divisional Round Playoff Dates, Times & Networks - AFL I
- Russell Athletic Arena Football on ESPN Kicks Off Postseason Friday - AFL I
- Grow a "Soul Patch" and Save - Philadelphia Soul
- L.A. Avengers dismiss head coach Ed Hodgkiss - Los Angeles Avengers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.