Grow a "Soul Patch" and SaveJune 24, 2008 - Arena Football League (1987-2008) (AFL I) Philadelphia Soul
Fans who grow, attempt to grow or show up with a "Soul Patch", which is a small patch of facial hair just below the lower lip and above the chin, can receive a special Soul ticket "Patch-age," which is a lower-level seat with other sporters of Soul Patches for just $20 -- a $13 savings from the regular price. Only a select number of "Soul Patch-ages" are available and they can only be purchased by calling the Soul ticket office at 888-PHIL-AFL for more information.
The Soul earned a first-round bye in the playoffs after posting a league-best 13-3 regular-season record and winning the National Conference's Eastern Division. The Soul will play the lowest remaining seed in the Divisional Round playoff game on Saturday, July 5 at 7 p.m. (et) at the Wachovia Sports Complex.
According to everyone's most trusted source, Wikipedia.com, "Soul Patches" came to prominence in the 1950s and 1960s, when it was a style of beard common among jazzmen. It became popular with beatniks, artists, and those who frequented the jazz scene and moved in literary and artistic circles. Jazz trumpeters in particular preferred the soul patch for the comfort it provided when using a trumpet mouthpiece.
"Playing off the tradition of playoff beards and the that fact that our team's goal is to ultimately win ArenaBowl XXII, which will be played in the city that is considered the birth-place of jazz New Orleans, the Soul Patch was only fitting," said Soul general manager Rich Lisk, whose entire front office staff vowed to grow Soul Patches for the playoffs.
The Soul are celebrating their fifth anniversary this season. The team has drawn an AFL-best 646,043 fans combined during the first five seasons. Following last season, the Soul were recognized with the Commissioner's Award as the Organization of the Year and were an honorable mention for the PRISM Award in the category of fan appreciation. For more information call (888) PHIL-AFL or log on to www.philadelphiasoul.com.
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from June 24, 2008
- MacPherson named POTW - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Fountain named to all-rookie team - Utah Blaze
- San Jose Wideout Collects Award After Seven TD Receptions - San Jose SaberCats
- NFL Hall of Famer to be Honorary Coach at Desperados Practice - Dallas Desperados
- Samuels Named Ironman of the Week - Tampa Bay Storm
- Two Dragons Receive All-Rookie Honors - New York Dragons
- Rattlers O-Lineman Atlas Herrion Named to All-Rookie Team - Arizona Rattlers
- Rattlers to Broadcast All Playoff Games Live on 1060AM The Fan - Arizona Rattlers
- Rampage's Martin, McFadden Make AFL All-Rookie Team - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Rush Places Pair on AFL'S All-Rookie Team - Chicago Rush
- A Busy Off Day - Philadelphia Soul
- 2008 AFL All-Rookie Team - AFL I
- Soul's Hughes Named to 2008 AFL All-Rookie Team - AFL I
- San Jose' Santil, Philadelphia's Moten, Tampa Bay's Samuels Earns Week 17 Honors - AFL I
- Wild Card & Divisional Round Playoff Dates, Times & Networks - AFL I
- Russell Athletic Arena Football on ESPN Kicks Off Postseason Friday - AFL I
- Grow a "Soul Patch" and Save - Philadelphia Soul
- L.A. Avengers dismiss head coach Ed Hodgkiss - Los Angeles Avengers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.