Joey Votto named Southern League Most Valuable PlayerAugust 31, 2006 - Southern League (SL)
A Triple Crown contender for much of the season, Votto's name appears near the top of the league leader-board in nearly every offensive category. He is currently leading the Southern League with a .313 average, 154 hits, 44 doubles, 67 extra-base hits, 82 runs scored, a .402 on-base percentage and a .539 slugging percentage. He also ranks third in the league with 76 RBI and is tied for third with 21 home runs.
This season, the 22-year-old has posted 44 multi-hit games, including eleven 3-hit games and one 4-hit game. He has driven in multiple runs on 17 occasions, including five 3-RBI games and one 4-RBI game. He enjoyed a season-high 10-game hitting streak August 7-17. He also put together a 9-game streak June 10-19 and two 8-game streaks (July 14-22 and August 22-current).
The Toronto, Ontario native was named to the Southern League's Postseason All-Star team as a first baseman. He was also the North Division's starting first baseman in the 2006 Southern League All-Star game.
Previously, Votto was named the TOPPS Southern League Player of the Month for the month of June after hitting .355 with 9 doubles, 8 home runs and 24 RBI. He was also named the BC Headache Powder Hitter of the Week for the week of June 12-18, hitting .519 with 4 home runs and 9 RBI.
Votto joins a select group of players who have won the award. Current Major League standouts Joe Crede, Carlos Delgado, Jason Kendall and Derrek Lee have all been named the Southern League's MVP in the past. Last year's winner, Delmon Young, made his Major League debut on August 29, 2006.
The Cincinnati Reds selected Votto in the second round of the 2002 draft. Prior to the season, Baseball America named him the ninth-best prospect in the Reds' organization.
AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SB
Votto .313 492 82 154 44 2 21 76 74 24
Southern League Stories from August 31, 2006
- Chattanooga defeats Jaxx 3-1 - Jackson Generals
- Stars cap remarkable month of August with shutout win - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears topple Smokies 9-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears win sixth in a row, 9-3 - Mobile BayBears
- Braves take game one from Biscuits, 4-2 - Mississippi Braves
- Biscuits' Andy Sonnanstine named to S.L. Postseason All-Star Team - Montgomery Biscuits
- Ernesto postpones series opener at Carolina - Jacksonville Suns
- Carolina-Jacksonville Postponed - Carolina Mudcats
- 2006 BayBears player awards announced - Mobile BayBears
- Barone joins Mudcats, Brauer sent down - Carolina Mudcats
- Devine heads to the bigs - Mississippi Braves
- Four Tennessee Smokies named to Postseason All-Star squad - Tennessee Smokies
- Southern League honors Shoemaker, Lundberg - Jacksonville Suns
- Joey Votto named Southern League Most Valuable Player - SL
- Spike Lundberg named Southern League Most Outstanding Pitcher - SL
- John Shoemaker named Southern League Manager of the Year - SL
- Southern League announces Postseason All-Star Team - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.