MetroStars Select Two Players in the 2005 MLS SuperDraftJanuary 14, 2005 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New York Red Bulls
The first move of the day for the Metros came when the club traded a player to be named later to FC Dallas in exchange for the last pick in the first round of the draft (12th overall). With the pick, the Red and Black selected Tim Ward from Saint Louis University.
Ward, 17, of Waukesha, WI is described as a tough defender with a powerful shot that makes him particularly dangerous on set pieces. He recently completed his freshman season at Saint Louis University where he was named to the Conference-USA All-Freshman Team. He finished his first campaign tied for second on the team in assists, with four. Prior to matriculating to SLU, Ward completed his high school education at the Edison Academic Center within residency in the U.S. National Team program in Bradenton, Florida.
With the 25th overall pick in the SuperDraft the MetroStars selected Chris Corcoran from Saint Johns University. Despite missing much of his senior year due to foot injuries, Corcoran had a storied career with the Red Storm. As a junior in 2003, he was named to the All-Big East First Team. During that campaign he appeared in 24 games, starting 21. He scored two goals, and tallied eight assists during that year. He played his club soccer with the Cape Cod Crusaders of the PDL. By D.C. United sending the MetroStars the 25th overall selection, they have completed compensating the MetroStars for the rights to Jaime Moreno.
The MetroStars finished the day by making a trade with Real Salt Lake. The Metros sent their natural second round pick in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft to Real Salt Lake in exchange for a youth international slot. This now leaves the Metros with five youth international slots for the 2005 season.
2005 MetroStars SuperDraft Pick Vitals
HT: 6-0; WT: 165 lbs
College: Saint Louis University
High School: USMNT U-17 Residency Program
Hometown: Waukesha, WI
HT: 5-9; WT: 165 lbs
College: Saint Johns University
High School: Marshfield High School
Hometown: Marshfield, MA
Major League Soccer Stories from January 14, 2005
- Chivas USA picks GK Brad Guzan - MLS SuperDraft 2005 - MLS
- Provo girl counts on countess - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Select Seven Players and Make Two Major Trades at 2005 MLS SuperDraft in Baltimore - San Jose Earthquakes
- No. 1 Pick Nikolas Besagno of Real Salt Lake Becomes Second Youngest Player Drafted in MLS History - MLS
- Galaxy select five players at 2005 MLS SuperDraft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Wizards Bolster Attack in 2005 MLS SuperDraft, Land Sasha Victorine in Trade - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Selects Marcus Storey, Domenic Mediate And Knox Cameron In 2005 MLS SuperDraft - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Select Two Players in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Lands Nick Van Sicklen, Tim Merritt in Draft - D.C. United
- Revolution takes three defensive players in MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Finishes Successful Day at 2005 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Crew Acquires 2006 First Round Draft Pick From Colorado For Jeff Cunningham - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Acquire a Portion of an Allocation and Youth International Spot from San Jose Earthquakes - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Acquire Rising Star Ricardo Clark From MetroStars - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Acquires GoalKeeper Henry Ring and 2006 Second Round Pick - FC Dallas
- Revolution selects Michael Parkhurst with ninth pick in MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Acquires Richard Mulrooney, Arturo Alvarez, Picks from San Jose - FC Dallas
- RSL Selects 16-Year Old Nik Besagno with #1 Overall Pick in 2005 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.