Wilkins' Game-Winner Sends Hawks to 2-1 Overtime Win over Knights
JOHNSTOWN - Defenseman Alex Wilkins converted a breakaway in overtime to give the Johnstown Tomahawks a 2-1 win over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights Friday evening at 1st Summit Arena.
The win improves the Tomahawks' point total to 64 points (First in the NAHL) and 32-5-0 on the season.
1st Period Recap
The Tomahawks entered the contest without three regulars on offense as Sam Solensky, Pavel Kharin and Mitch Hale were all scratched for the game.
Neither team could find the back of the net but the period was not absent of chances for Johnstown and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Shots on Goal After the First Period: Johnstown (9) | WB/Scranton (7)
2nd Period Recap
The Tomahawks contributed the game's first goal after Knights forward Adrian Danchenko was whistled for a five-minute high-sticking penalty.
Oliver Benwell tallied his 18th goal of the season with assists going to Alex Wilkins and Carson Brière. The Tomahawks went into the lead 1-0.
However, the Knights responded late in the second period with a goal from Zak Currie to tie the contest before intermission.
Shots on Goal After the Second Period: Johnstown (17) | WB/Scranton (19)
3rd Period Recap:
Neither team could crack the 1-1 tie on the scoreboard so both teams skated into overtime.
A turnover in the Knights offensive zone sprung Wilkins on a breakaway were the defenseman tallied his third of the season and the game-winner.
Final Shots on Goal: Johnstown (37) | WB/Scranton (25)
With the win, Johnstown improves their winning streak to eight games.
Wilkins' goal was his first game-winning goal of the season.
Saturday night, former Penguins Darius Kasparaitis and Tyler Kennedy along with numerous Johnstown Chiefs alumni take the ice against the Johnstown Warriors in a charity game benefiting the local youth hockey prior to the Tomahawks taking on the Knights at 5 p.m. Puck drops for the Tomahawks game at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Knights Force Overtime against NAHL's Best Team - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Mudbugs Smack the Bulls - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Jacks Suffer First Loss in Overtime, Fall 4-3 to Topeka - Odessa Jackalopes
- Wilkins' Game-Winner Sends Hawks to 2-1 Overtime Win over Knights - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Bennett Commits to A.I.C. - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Quick Hits: NAHL Game 36 Preview - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Road Trip - Aberdeen Wings
- Looking for a Hero - Minot Minotauros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.