This weekend the Rebels will host the Johnstown Tomahawks, a team that is on the verge of clinching a playoff spot already. They come to Jamestown, NY riding a 17-game win streak that started nearly two months ago on Oct. 13th. They are not only 1st in the East but also 1st in the league. The Rebels are on one of their own streaks as well, currently on a six-game point streak which has propelled them into sole possession of 2nd place. During the Tomahawks impressive streak, they have only played the Rebels once, back on Nov. 7th when they won 3-2. Johnstown has an overall record of 24-4, two of those losses came while at the Showcase. The only teams in the East Division to beat the Tomahawks are the Black Bears and the Rebels. While the Tomahawks lead the season series 2-1, the Rebels are starting to find their groove and are hungry for revenge.
One thing the Tomahawks know how to do very well is put up points. Four out of the top five leaders overall in points are Tomahawk players. Those four players have a combined 58G, 95A for a total of 153PTS. To put that in perspective, it would take 13 Rebels players to reach those stats, and they are just four players on a 23-man roster. The Tomahawks are not only good on offense but also between the pipes. Their top goalie is 15-1 this season putting him in fourth place overall for goals-against-average at 1.98.
The Rebels have a lot of their own accolades, however, as Alex Frye is in the top 15 in points with 25 and is on an eight-game point streak. They also have two goalies in the top 15 for GAA. Both Rebels goalies have recorded shutouts in consecutive weeks, and both came by a final of 4-0. The Rebels are coming off a weekend against New Jersey where they gained three out of four points to put them in 2nd place, just one point ahead of New Jersey.
The Rebels looked great throughout the two games against the Titans as it sure did give them a boost of confidence for this weekend. Though the Rebels are going to have to come out aggressive and set the tone early if they want to maintain 2nd place after this weekend. With Friday being the first ever Teddy Bear Toss the Rebels are looking to score early so the fans can unleash the stuffed animals. You will not want to miss these two games at the Northwest Arena this weekend as both 1st and 2nd place square off and to see which streak will come to an end.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2018
- Weekend Preview - Jamestown Rebels
- December Promotions with the Steel - Chippewa Steel
- Maryland Black Bears Announce New Front Office Staff - Maryland Black Bears
- Futures/Developmental Camps Set - Maryland Black Bears
- Brahmas Announce Sponsorship Agreement with Pepsi Co. - Lone Star Brahmas
- Toale Commits to Bentley University - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Dalton Weigel Earns NAHL Defenseman of the Month Honors - Aberdeen Wings
- Weekend Preview Bulls Back at Home Taking on Lone Star Brahmas - Amarillo Bulls
- Amarillo Bulls Tender Tabor Heaslip and Oliver Bezick - Amarillo Bulls
- Hawks Continue Winning Streak, Visit Rebels this Weekend - Johnstown Tomahawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.