Washington Spirit Sign Defender Marisa Abegg on NWSL Roster Freeze
BOYDS, Md. (July 31, 2013) - The Washington Spirit announced the signing of free agent defender Marisa Abegg via their exclusive fan-focused "First to Know" list this morning. The 27-year-old, who most recently played for the Gulf Coast Texans (Fla.) in the WPSL, is expected to be available for selection when the Spirit visit the Western New York Flash on Wednesday. Pending completion of league paperwork, Abegg will fill a roster spot made available due to the Spirit's accumulation of season-ending injuries.
In joining the Spirit, Abegg returns to Washington, where she played for D.C. United Women the last two seasons and the Washington Freedom in 2010. A former U.S. under-20 and under-23 national team member, Abegg was born in Anchorage, Alaska, but grew up in Oregon where her soccer career began. She played four seasons at Stanford from 2005-2008, starting all 91 matches of her college career. She was a one-time MAC Herman Trophy semifinalist, All-American, and a two-time All-Pac-10 first-team selection.
Abegg served as an assistant coach for the Cardinals for one season before being drafted by FC Gold Pride in the 2009 WPS Draft. She appeared in six games with the Gold Pride that season while also playing for the U.S. U-23 national team. She then played the 2010 season with the Washington Freedom before signing on with D.C. United Women.
The Abegg addition comes on the same day as the league-wide roster freeze deadline, where all NWSL team rosters will be locked for the remainder of the inaugural 2013 season.
The Flash and Spirit will kick off at Sahlen's Stadium at 7:05 p.m. ET tonight. The match will be shown via live stream at: tfree
After another road match on Saturday against Sky Blue FC, the Spirit will return home to face the Chicago Red Stars on Wednesday, Aug. 7 at 7:30 p.m. ET. Tickets are available at: https://tickets.washingtonspirit.com.| 20841
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from July 31, 2013
- Flash Add Important Three Points with Shutout over Washington - Western New York Flash
- Spirit Blanked 3-0 at Western New York - Washington Spirit
- Thorns FC Sign Defender Tina Ellertson - Portland Thorns FC
- FC Kansas City Signs Jaime French - FC Kansas City
- Shannon Boxx to Lead Walk to End Lupus Now in Naperville Aug 10 - Chicago Red Stars
- Boston Breakers 2014 season tickets are on sale Aug. 1 - Boston Breakers
- Flash Set to Take On Spirit at Sahlen's Stadium - Western New York Flash
- Washington Spirit Sign Defender Marisa Abegg on NWSL Roster Freeze - Washington Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Spirit Stories
- Washington Spirit Sign Forward Crystal Thomas
- Amy Harrison and Chloe Logarzo Named to Australian Roster for World Cup
- Washington Spirit Announce Partnership with Adventist HealthCare
- Aubrey Bledsoe Named NWSL Player of the Week
- Aubrey Bledsoe Earns NWSL Save of the Week