Washington Freedom to Play in 2009 Inaugural Game
Much like it did the last time a professional women's soccer league tried to establish itself in the U.S., the Washington Freedom will be one of the two clubs to play in Women's Professional Soccer's inaugural game, facing the Los Angeles Sol at the Home Depot Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, March 29, 2009. The game will be broadcast live on Fox Soccer Channel and takes place one week before the first full weekend of games on April 4 and 5. Kickoff will be at 6 p.m. EST.
Puma Signs as Founding Partner and Official Sponsor of Women's Professional Soccer
Global sportlifestyle brand PUMA and Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) announced an exclusive partnership making PUMA an official founding partner of WPS and an official sponsor of all WPS franchises.
2009 WPS Draft Details Announced
The 2009 WPS Draft will be held Friday, January 16, 2009 at the NSCAA Convention in St. Louis and is open to the media and public. The Washington Freedom will pick seventh in the first round.
WPS East Coast Combine Begins on Friday
Six players from the 2008 Washington Freedom's W-League team will be attending the WPS East Coast Combine this week, joining 66 other top players from around the country. To follow the combine, visit fans.womensprosoccer.com. Blogs, pictures, and articles will be posted throughout the weekend!
University of Maryland Men's Soccer are National Champs!
Congratulations to the University of Maryland Men's Soccer Team for winning the 2008 NCAA National Championship. The Terps defeated North Carolina 1-0 in the finals and finished the season with a 23-3-0 record.
Washington Freedom Adult Goalkeeper Clinic
For the first time ever, the Washington Freedom is providing an adult goalkeeper clinic! Nicci Wright, the Freedom's professional goalkeeper coach, will be directing the clinic. Geared toward beginners and intermediate level goalkeepers, it will cover a variety of goalkeeping skills such as ball handling, diving, and more.
The sessions will be outdoors at Trinity College on Sunday mornings from 9:30-11 a.m. beginning on February 22 and ending on March 29.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from December 16, 2008
- Sky Blue FC Set for April 5 Season Opener at TD Bank Ballpark - Sky Blue FC
- Breakers Announce Home Opener Date - Boston Breakers
- Washington Freedom to Play in 2009 Inaugural Game - magicJack
- WPS 2009 Home Openers Announced - WPS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent magicJack Stories
- Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
- Jim Gabarra Resigns as Head Coach of Washington Freedom
- Washington Freedom's 2010 WPS Playoff Run Ends with Overtime Goal
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
- Washington Freedom Defeat Atlanta Beat 1-0 To Advance To WPS Playoffs