Washington Freedom Falls To FC Gold Pride 4-1
BOYDS, MD ...Two goals apiece from Marta and Tiffeny Milbrett blew open a close game, and gave FC Gold Pride a 4-1 win over Washington Freedom on a hot Saturday evening at the Maryland SoccerPlex.
Milbrett opened scoring in the 18th minute, heading in a rebound after Freedom goalkeeper Erin McLeod had denied her first effort. Freedom tied the game in the 43rd minute when Cat Whitehill connected with Beverly Goebel down the left side of the field. Goebel's cross was deflected by FC Gold Pride goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart-right into the path of Freedom forward Abby Wambach, who buried her sixth goal of the season at the far post.
Both teams created half-chances in the first 15 minutes after intermission, but it was FC Gold Pride who found the go-ahead goal.
Counter-attacking, Christine Sinclair got the ball in the middle, just past midfield, and slotted a through ball down the left side to Marta, who dribbled into the box and beat McLeod near post. Her second came 25 minutes later-again from Sinclair. Marta evaded a diving McLeod and finished from close range. With the two goals, Marta extended her league-record single-season goal tally to 13.
McLeod went down on the play and was walked off the field with a knee injury. With Freedom coach Jim Gabarra having used all three of his substitutes, defender Cat Whitehill had to put on backup Ashlyn Harris' jersey inside-out and go between the posts.
The move also left Freedom a player down, and FC Gold Pride took advantage, getting numbers forward on the counter-attack. Milbrett got the ball 20 yards from goal and hit a perfectly-placed shot into the top right corner for the fourth and final goal.
At halftime, Freedom inducted Jen Grubb into the Hall of Freedom, joining Steffi Jones, Siri Mullinix, David Vanole, and Mia Hamm.
Freedom (4-6-5) play their next two games on the road before returning to the Maryland SoccerPlex on Wednesday, August 4 against the Philadelphia Independence.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from July 24, 2010
- Washington Freedom Falls To FC Gold Pride 4-1 - magicJack
- Sky Blue FC Unable to Solve Independence - Sky Blue FC
- Chicago Red Stars Aim for Sweep of Boston This Sunday - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent magicJack Stories
- Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
- Jim Gabarra Resigns as Head Coach of Washington Freedom
- Washington Freedom's 2010 WPS Playoff Run Ends with Overtime Goal
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
- Washington Freedom Defeat Atlanta Beat 1-0 To Advance To WPS Playoffs